Chapter 21 - "You got shot?!"

~ Bloodlines ~ Part One ~

Ronnie's POV

A ringing is what brought me out of my peaceful slumber. I barely opened my eyes as my hand struggled to find my phone on the bedside table. Last night when I got home, my phone was just laying on my bed. I didn't question it because I was too tired, but I figured it was Damon. When I picked up the phone, my eyes squinted at the bright light it was omitting and when I saw the time, I wanted to strangle the person calling me. "What the hell, dude? It's six in the morning."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry, but I had to ask you. Is Elena with you?" Stefan asked, worry in his voice.

I let out a small groan as I sat up from the bed. "What? No. I haven't seen her since yesterday."

Stefan let out a frustrated sigh. "Okay, thanks."

"Wait. Why are you looking for Elena?" I asked curiously, getting up from my bed and heading out of my room.

"Last night she. . . found something that she wasn't supposed to see." He said cryptically.

"What, like your nudes?" I snorted as I walked down the stairs, making my way towards the kitchen.

"No, Ronnie." I could hear the frustration in his voice.

"Why don't you just call her?" My father gave me a strange look when I walked into the kitchen. What?  I mouthed. He only shrugged in return.

"I have been. For hours. She won't pick up."

"Damn, sucks for you. Listen, just keep calling her. She'll eventually get annoyed and answer you. You know, that is if she doesn't turn her phone off." I said, pursing my lips. "And if I hear anything from her, I'll call you. Okay?"

"Yeah, okay. Bye."

When I heard the dial tone, I rolled my eyes and groaned, throwing my phone onto the counter. "Why are you up so early?"

My eyes traveled towards my dad, now understanding why he gave me the strange look. "Trust me, it wasn't optional. Stefan's looking for Elena. She's gone M.I.A."

He nodded, his eyes going back to the newspaper he was holding. "So I figure we should talk about you coming in so late last night."

My nose scrunched up. "I thought we already did."

"Listen, I'm happy you have a boyfriend--"

"Dad! Damon is not my boyfriend."

"Sure. Anyway, you coming in the late is not acceptable. Especially when you don't call me to let me know what's happening."

"I told you I lost my phone."

He gave me a look before his eyes traveled to the phone sitting on the counter. "Oh really?"

My mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water. "I found it under my bed."

"Sure you did." He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Ronnie, I'm tired of having to ground you every single week. It's getting old."

"Then don't?" It came out more as a question.

"I'll let you off the hook this one time, but only because I'm too old to keep up with how much you're getting grounded." He shook his head. "I'm pretty sure if I did, you'd be grounded until college."

I nodded my head, silently agreeing. I then changed the subject, afraid that if we were on it too long, he'd change his mind and ground me. "So where's Lucas?"