Chapter 53 - "Salvatore men ain't shit."

~ Kill or Be Killed ~ Part One ~

Ronnie's POV

Bonnie and I had spent most of the night watching rom-coms and discussing how we would likely never find anyone and we would die alone. During that time, we made a plan to never get married and just live with each other. Bonnie had said she wanted to be one of the old crazy cat ladies with 30 cats, but since I'm allergic to cats, we settled on being crazy bird ladies.

We had stayed up pretty late, until maybe four in the morning, which was why I was not happy about being woken up at ten-- only six hours after falling asleep. I needed a good ten or eleven hours to be a fully functioning human being.

I had tried to ignore Bonnie's attempts to wake me up, but when she started incessantly shaking me like a mad-woman, I let out a loud groan as my eyes snapped open, the harsh light less than welcoming. I grabbed the pillow from underneath my head and started hitting her with it. "Get away from me, you bitch."

She fell back on my bed with a gasp, yanking the pillow away from my grip and hitting me twice as hard as I did her. "I am a guest here, you little rat!" She threw the pillow at me as she got off my bed. She was no longer in her pajamas, now dressed in a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.

"So why am I awake right now?" I scratched my head groggily, getting up from my bed slowly and stretching. I winced as my joints popped like an eighty-year-old man's would.

"Your dad asked me to wake you up." Bonnie sat in front of my mirror, starting to put her makeup on while I headed to my closet. "Said you had to help with that volunteer thing at the new park they're building. You have to leave in thirty minutes."

I popped my head out the closet door and looked at her with an agape mouth. "You're joking, right? I haven't even heard of this thing until now."

Bonnie gave me a small smile, "Nope." She shrugged as I went back into my closet with a sour expression on my face.

"Who even signed me up to help?" I asked, even though she wouldn't know the answer. I sighed, quickly changing out of my pajamas and into a black t-shirt and blue jeans. "I bet it was my devil of a mother. She probably signed me up before she skipped town -- again."

Bonnie was applying her mascara as I walked back out of my closet and towards my bed. "Oh, come on. It won't be that bad." She tried to reason as I checked my phone, seeing a few notifications from my email and one text from Elena telling me she would be at this volunteer thing today. I replied with a simple 'Okay' and sat my phone back down.

"Please tell me you're coming. Elena's gonna be there, but I've spent enough time with her as it is." I pouted as I fell onto my bed, propping my head upon my palm.

She smiled almost smugly, "I can't go. My dad wants me home."

"What a bit--"

"Ronnie, don't finish that sentence." She gave me a warning look, not wanting to hear me cuss out her dad that wasn't even here. She knew that I had never gotten along with her father -- a fact she had always hated but didn't know how to fix.

"Sorry, sorry." I mumble, even though we both know I don't mean it.

"So what's up with your friend Bash?" She suddenly asked, coating on a layer of chapstick onto her lips.

I moved my head from my palm, laying it on the bed as I stared up at the ceiling. "Explain more, please."

"Does he have a crush on Elena or something?"

My eyes widened a fraction, glancing at her quickly. "Um . . . what makes you think that?"

"Well, I saw them at The Grill the other day. I think they were doing their English assignment, which, by the way, makes me glad we take normal English and not AP like them."