Chapter 22 - "The bitch is psychotic."

~ Bloodlines ~ Part Two ~

Ronnie's POV

"Tell me about your family." I commanded as we drove down the road, heading towards our house. We had been silent for the past five minutes, but I was itching to know more. "You said you work with your siblings and a niece, right?"

I could see from the corner of my eye that she was nodding. "My older brother Kit, my younger sister Maxine, and my niece Maggie."

My brows furrowed as I thought about something. "I thought you had three siblings?"

"I did."

My eyes widened a bit as I realized one of her siblings is probably dead. I really hope I can refrain myself from being a complete asshole. "What happened?"

"My older sister Marie died. Vampire." She said with no emotion.

"Sorry?" It came out more as a question than a sincere apology.

She let out a small chuckle. "You don't need to pretend to be sad for me. It was almost two decades ago. I've moved on." She spoke with a small smile, trying to show me she was okay. "She died right before you were born. That's actually why your middle name is Marie."

"Cool. I mean, not cool, I just meant― you know what? How 'bout we move on?" I cringed at myself as we came to a red light. "So why did you never tell us about your family?"

Molly let out a small sigh. "I guess I wanted to keep my work family and my actual family separate." She tried to find the right words. "I knew that if you guys knew them, one of them was bound to slip up and spill our little secret."

"Little secret?" I asked in disbelief, looking over at my mother. "You're literally a vampire hunter who's living a double life. I'd say that's a pretty freaking big secret."

She rolled her eyes at me. "Anyway, moving on. The kids start training at thirteen and you usually find out about the supernatural when your parent thinks you're ready. But it's always between the ages of thirteen and eighteen. Though, If one of your parent dies while you're still in the dark about everything, you find out immediately."

"And I found out because they thought you were dead?"

She nodded shortly, her eyes looking straightforward. "It was a mistake that you found out."

"No, what the mistake was was that your family thought you were dead. How does someone make that mistake?" I asked, my arm resting on the door, my hand holding my head up as we started driving again.

"Well, I was missing for two weeks, and that's the limit of searching for someone. In my family, if you're gone for longer than two weeks and no ones heard from you, you're presumed dead."

"Well, that's just stupid." I rolled my eyes.

"It's one of the rules." She shrugged like it was nothing.

"I just don't even know how to respond to that."

It was silent for a couple of minutes before I spoke again. "So was Marie Maggie's mom?"

Molly nodded, a distant look in her eyes. "Yeah, Mags found out about all of this when she was ten."

"How did you and your siblings find out?"

"Well, my older brother and sister already knew when I found out. My younger sister and I found out when my mother died."

"How old were you?" I asked as we started to get close to our house.