Chapter 23 - "I don't dance with desperate people."

~ Unpleasantville ~ Part One ~

Ronnie's POV

"You know, when you said you needed my help, I didn't think you meant this." I pointed out as Damon looked through the shelves of books. When he didn't find the one he wanted, he would throw it on the ground, but I would put it back in its place.

"Yeah, well, excuse me for not telling you every little detail." He muttered as he threw another book to the ground.

I gave him a sarcastic smile, letting out a fake chuckle. "So funny, Damon. You should become a comedian."

"Already tried, but I couldn't stop eating the audience."

"It's sad that I can't tell whether you're joking or not." I told the vampire.

"What are you lookin' for, Damon?" I heard Stefan's voice from behind me, making me glance over my shoulder. "And why did you rope Ronnie into it?"

"Neither are your concern." Damon responded, his eyes sweeping over the books.

"No, but putting Elena in harm's way, that is my concern." Stefan stated.

Damon hummed out a short laugh, his eyes not looking in his brother's direction. "What are you talking about?" By now, I had stopped looking through the books. I leaned against the shelves, watching the brothers.

"I'm talking about Atlanta." He said, making me roll my eyes.

"Oh, yeah. Elena and I had a blast." Damon smirked, looking at his brother.

Stefan smiled, nodding his head. "I get it. You're just bitter because one of us gets to be with the person that we love, and poor Katherine is just out of reach." Stefan said, making my mouth fall open. "Unless there's another way for you to get into that tomb. Is that what Bree said?"

"You're pathetic when you're fishing." Damon said, continuing to look through the books.

"You're transparent when you're deflecting." Stefan said, making his brother stop and look over at him. Now was when I was starting to get uncomfortable. This felt more like a family problem.

"Don't you have school?" Damon asked, making me purse my lips, looking over at Stefan, who only smiled and nodded.

When Stefan was about to pass me, he paused and looked at me. "Come on. I'll give you a ride."

"Uh, I don't think so. This one's helping me." Damon objected.

I gave him a look, raising a brow. "Well, this one needs to get to school." I said, pointing towards myself. "And I'd love a ride, Stefan." I said, not looking at Stefan, but instead at Damon. I gave the oldest Salvatore brother a sardonic smile before grabbing my bag from the ground. "Later, loser."

~~~~~

When it was time for lunch, I went outside, taking a deep breath of the fall air. It was always my favorite time of the year. I clutched the brown paper bag that was holding my lunch, looking around for a free table. I smiled slightly when I saw Sebastian sitting at one, reading a book as he ate his lunch.

I made my way towards him, forcing a smile at the people who greeted me along the way. I walked up to him and when he looked up, he sighed and rolled his eyes not so subtly. Furrowing my eyebrows, I watched as he took out his headphones, closing his book. "Hey, Bashy. Something wrong?" I asked as I sat down in front of him.

Sebastian sighed once more, putting his headphones and his book into his backpack. "The fact that you don't even know says enough." He said, about to stand up when I grabbed his wrist.