Chapter 9 - "Abandoment Issues."

~ You're Undead to Me ~ Part One ~

Ronnie's POV

"I'm worried, pops." I said, leaning my palms against the kitchen counter.

Dad looked up from his newspaper, giving me a questioning look. "Care to fill me in?"

I let out a small grunt. "Come on, dad. Mom hasn't called since she left. Aren't you the least bit worried?"

I had to give props to my father. Every time mom left, he would take care of us, well, more like he would put food on the table. I was always the one to take care of him and Lucas. My mom had never been very reliable in the family.

"Veronica, you know how your mother is." Dad sighed, taking his reading glasses off and sitting the newspaper down.

I studied my dad, seeing how he had very noticeable bags under his eyes. How he kept cracking his knuckles, a sign he was stressed. "Yes, father, I know how she is, but I'm still worried. Could you at least try and call her? Just to see if she's okay?"

He brought his hands up to his head, rubbing his temples, something he also did when he was stressed. "Okay, okay. I'll call her after work. Just go get ready for school."

"I still have an hour and a half till school, but whatever." I rolled my eyes, turning around and walking out of the kitchen. I started walking down the hall when a small hand grabbed my wrist. "Luke!" I grunted in annoyance, jerking my hand away from him.

He gave me a mean look. "I heard what you and dad were talking about."

I huffed, walking past him and towards the stairs. "You shouldn't eavesdrop." I pointed out, walking up the stairs, hearing my little brother following me.

"Well, then you shouldn't talk so loud." He shot back, trailing behind me like a lost puppy.

I stopped in front of my bedroom door, turning towards the little eavesdropper. "Lucas, there's nothing to worry about, okay?" I didn't wait for a reply, before walking into my room, closing the door behind me.

I sighed, bringing my hands up to my head, running my fingers through my hair. I closed my eyes in annoyance when I heard my cell phone ring. I walked over to my nightstand, picking up my phone and pressing the green answer button, not even bothering to read the caller ID. "What?"

"Jeez, what crawled up your ass and died?" I heard Bonnie's voice ask, making me roll my eyes.

"Abandonment issues."

"Funny, I didn't know abandonment issues could crawl up asses." Caroline said, making me come to the conclusion I was on speaker.

I huffed, walking over to my dresser. "I'm not in the mood, Barbie. What do you two want?"

"Come over." Caroline said, not even asking, just demanding.

I rolled my eyes, opening a drawer and pulling out a shirt and a pair of jeans. "Do I have to? When I said I'm not in the mood, I really meant it."

"Come on, V. Please, for me?" Caroline begged.

I put my phone on speaker, sitting it on the top of my dresser as I stripped out of my clothes. "What makes you think that will change my mind?"

Bonnie groaned in annoyance. "If you come over, I'll get you breakfast from my grill."

I slipped on my jeans, my ears perking up in interest. "Fine, but you're paying." I said, putting my shirt on and picking the phone up, taking it off speaker and putting it back up to my ear.