IV

"you can't marry Elias."

I looked back at my sister- wide eyed.  her voice was a command. "does it look like I want to?"

Rhea looked like she was about to have a panic attack. her hands ran down her smooth brown skin before they pushed into her lengthy hair. "wait do you know him? is that why-" she started.

"Rhea! Jesus, I don't know him!"

"he's my lover." she told me.

"can you not just say boyfriend like every normal person?"

then it hits me what my younger sister had confessed.

"he's your what?"

fuck.

"yes. and his parents want him to get married to you. and our parents want you to get married to him. do you see why that can't happen?"

ew! left my lips and I realised why Rhea was crying. "I won't marry your lover, don't worry."

"this is messed up. I can't get married to him." I said in disgust to my sister in our shared bedroom. "it's fine, mum and dad will forget about marriage."

"nah. they seem keen on Elias." Rhea replied through tears.

"what are you crying about?" I whined, tying my hair up into a messy bun. "I'm not marrying your lover or whatever- fuck no."

"I know! but there's a possibility."

"why don't you just tell mum and dad he's your boyfriend?"

Rhea stopped crying and gave me a stern glare. "that is the dumbest idea I've ever heard."

"do you know our parents? they'll kill me!" she screamed.

but my new exciting life was just beginning as a twenty year old, furious, weary woman.