chapter 18

The next day I woke up kind of bummed that I wasn't gonna see Royal, I felt like I needed to. On my notebook she wrote down about 7 questions and I only asked her 3, but I wanted to hear her answers from the rest.

I get ready for school and leave. I didn't have any home this week except for that Spanish book that we still have to do. It's annoying me.

I get to school and sit down in the back of my math class. I wait for the teacher to come in, looking at my notebook, and trying to remember the steps for a math problem until I see Ethan come in and sit right next to me.

"It's so annoying we have math first today." He says flipping his pages of the math book.

I look at him and nod, not knowing how to respond, until I said something. "How's your report doing?" I could see a shock expression on his face for a couple seconds, I was never the one to ask questions or even talk, I can see why he's startled.

"Report? We had a math report?" He asked, but I shake my head.

"No the English report."

"Oh" Ethan said sitting back. "I'd say OK. I got a kid, he's 6 and his name's Jameson. He's an awesome little guy." He similes.

"What's he sick of?" I ask.

"Head tumor, well he had a head tumor, they took it out like a month ago, but they still need to give him treatment for like 3 mouths so it won't appear again."

"And what does he tell you? What's your report gonna be about?" I ask, hoping he would say the same things I was going through.

"Well he talks about football all the time, he wants to be a pro, and even though I haven't started doing the report, I think I'll do it about how sick people have this dreams that they would love to do, but can't sometimes, and us that we can, we don't pursue any of are dreams. Kind of sad if you think about it."

He gave me an answer that I kind of wanted to hear, but not completely. "But do the visit like, affect you somehow?" I ask.

"Yeah they bum me out" he said with a little chuckle that was hiding sadness. "Poor people." He said as the teacher came in. Are conversation was cut there.

The math class was over before I knew it cause my mind kept on going to Royal. I'm losing my mind.

For lunch, I get my lunch tray and start to walk outside where I always sit, next to a tree that had a bench. No one really went there, sometimes some kids would come to smock, but see me and leave. It's alone and just for one person, perfect for me. But today on my way there Ethan stopped me.

"Wanna eat with us?" He asked almost leaving me behind.

I look at him confused, almost turn around to see if he was talking to me until he stops me from doing so.

"Just some guys from the marching band. Come on, one of them has brownies." He said taking a few steps back, so we could be right next to each other. Just as I was gonna say no I see a group of kids call out for us. I was stuck here.

We walk to the table and I could feel my anxiety lift as the looked at me.

4 people not counting me and Ethan. 2 guys had their band uniform that had the school colors, red, gold and cream. And the other guy and girl had normal clothes on and had their instruments, a flute and trumpet.

I sit down next to Ethan cause he was the only person I know from the group and look down, not wanting to see the awkward stares from everyone else. But they didn't seem to notice me at all.

"Hey guys, what's up?" Ethan said, looking around at them.

"The sun." One said, getting his head slapped by someone else and a boo from other guy.