chapter 36

Wednesday, and I was going to see Royal. I get up very happy. I check my face for any signs of recovery, and nothing much as change. A few more days and I'm going to go check in my nose, but everything looks fine.

I get out and get in the bus, feeling the bracelet tug on my shirt again. I guess I have this hate love relationship with it now, because I never really taken it off, but it always bothers me.

I sit down in a solo sit with a smile on my face. I wasn't sure why exactly, but I was sure a golden glow was coming out of me.

First things first, I was seeing Royal today, and on top of that I didn't feel like the black sheep in the family anymore.

I feel evil thinking this, because I know what it's like, to feel like your the disappointment, and like your the problem in your family. But this time it was different. It wasn't me, it was perfect Peyton. And not so perfect after all I guess.

I would have kept his secret, and I would never ask him to come clean to mom and dad. But I can't say I didn't like it. When Peyton was asleep last night I just thought about all the times I was never enough for anyone, and now, I wasn't alone.

Peyton finally felt what I've felt my home life. Finally, someone understands and knows.

Even though I feel like everything is just gonna work out with Peyton at the end. It feels good to not be the problem this time.

I didn't feel alone anymore.

When the bus stops, I walk out to school and see Rebecca waiting for me. I smile at her.

"Hey." I say.

She looks at me up and down. "You okay?"

I nod, and seconds later she smiles. I see and feel her hand move to mine as well start to walk together. In that I see Amanda and Jake come up to us.

"Morning." Jake groans.

"Stop being a grouch." Amanda says, "hi Rebecca."

"Hi." Rebecca says flatly.

"You okay Nick? Something feels different about you." Amanda ask. And she was right, I was.

But I shrug it off. "Nothing really."

She nods and continues. "Anyway Thomas is bringing his famous brownies! Like the first time you went with us."

Jake smiles. "The only thing that could bring me up in the morning."

"And where is Thomas?" I ask.

Jake shrug, "he said he'd be here in a few minutes. Probably late."

I hear a girl scream, and see all of Rebecca friends run to her with smiles. They all talked at once like away. Amanda and Jake look at each other and wave bye to me before they leave.

It's not really their kind of style, and either is mine, but Rebecca's hand was still on me, so I couldn't leave.

We get to the classroom and Ethan was talking to a group of girls, and moved on, to the class clown of the classroom.

I stand where Rebecca did and wait for Mr Steve. Soon, he got there, and we all went on the bus. I sat next to Rebecca, and her hand never felt mine. Just as we got off, I let go of her hand and pluck a purple flowers for Royal, and walk to 072. The door was closed so I softly tap it. I hear a "come in." And open the door and walk in, closing it once I was in.

And I saw her. She looked just as she did yesterday. Yellow, weak and with a tube around her nose, and inside her throat. My smile falls down.

"How you doing Royal?" I ask walking up to her.