chapter 38

I didn't go to school the next day. I wasn't going to go, Royal told me to see her today, and I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way. If the school asked, I'd just lie and say my nose hurt too much.

I sleep in just as much as I could. Peyton wakes me up by smacking his arm to my head. It was 10:38am.

"Watch it!" I open my eyes and see him on the bed next to me, and push him of to the floor.

"Hey!" He yells getting up, his hair all over the place and his voice raspy. I don't get why girl think that's hot. He looks like a monster to me when he wakes up. "Aren't you supposed to be in school?" He yawns.

"Aren't you?" I say back.

He looks at me for a second. "You win this one." He walks out leaving me alone. I get clothes and wait for my turn in the bathroom. By the time I leave it was 11 o'clock.

I convince Peyton to lie to mom and dad if they found out I didn't go to school, and say I went to the doctor cause I hurt my nose.

I get on a bus this time. I wanted to know what Royal wanted to tell me, something gave me the feeling it was really, really important.

Just as I get off, I put my glasses on and walk right in. I see Anna with Kang in the front desk and walk up to her.

"Morning." I say.

Anna looks up and smiles. "Nickolas, it's been a while since I seen you."

I nod, it has.

"Royal was actually talking about you this morning." She says.

"Oooohhhhh." Kang whistle to me. And I feel my face get red.

Anna chuckles and gives me the papers I have to sign.

"And Beatrice?" I ask, trying to avoid the awkward tension I was having.

Anna takes the papers. "She asked for a day off, it's her wedding anniversary."

I nod, making a note to congratulate her later on.

I say bye to them and continue my way to royals room. The door was slightly open like before, giving me a little relief. I open it and walk in. She was holding a water cup in her hands, looking at the window.

"Hey Royal." I say as I walk in, getting her attention on me.

She looks at me, with her eyes half closed and half open, and smiles, putting her cup down. "Hi."

"How you feeling today?" I ask.

"Same old, same old." She says. "Sit down." Her skin was still yellow, and her eyes hand darker bags under them. Tiredness was still in her eyes. But this time it was different, I don't know how, but it was.

I look at the couch I always sit on, and see it was to far away from her, what if she started to talk low and I couldn't hear her. I take a stool that was under her bed instead, and pull it out to sit in it. Right next to her.

"You still look tired." I say.

"I feel tired." She sighs resting her head on the pillow. She slowly blinks, closing her eyes for a long amount time.

"You sure you don't want to rest?" I ask. "I can come back tomorrow, or the next day, or even today in the afternoon."

She shakes her head. "No. Stay." A moment passes before she says anything. "And the report?"

"I mentally curse my myself. I really need to get started on that. "I'll get to it when I get home. Things have just been crazy, I keep forgetting about it."