Chapter 8

My heart was beating wildly and my palms were sweating. I was standing in front of my mate's room debating with myself whether to go inside or not. Then I decided to do the former as the guards were not here to stop me.

I cannot expect him to accept me if I don't make any effort for it. I have to confront him. It is high time now. Gathering all the courage in me I knocked at his door.

"Come in!" came his gruff reply.

I entered his room and stood in front of him. He looked at me while sitting on his bed. His gaze seeing through my naked soul. I fidgeted and moved from one foot to another in nervousness, looking at him through my lashes. All my confidence flew out of the window under his intense stare.

"What do you want?" He asked, his expressions passive.

"Umm, I came here to talk to you." I answered him. My throat felt dry. My nerves were rolling off of me and I'm sure he can smell it.

"About What?"

"About us *cough* Alpha." Don't faint Berry, don't faint.

"What about us?" His face void of any expressions. I had no idea what he was thinking.

"Why are you doing this to me? To us! I know somewhere in your heart you care for me. Then why not accept me?"

He was silent for a moment and then let out a bitter laugh.

I cringed, but instantly regained my composure. I knew he was doing this to push me away. But I was not having any of this.

"Care for you? You are crazy, pup! I don't give a flying shit if you disappear right now, right here. I don't want a damn mate. I have to keep you with me so that I can become stronger. As much as I hate it, being near his mate satisfies a beast and makes him stronger. So, I have to bear you."

"Oh really! If you don't care about me then why did you call me back from my pack as soon as possible when you heard about the mysterious attack."

"It was because of my Beta, not you. You are so naïve, pup. I will never care about you. There is no us. There will never be an us. I don't want to be bounded to a woman. I cannot fulfil your desires that you have from your mate. Do not bother me and stay peacefully over here. If you try to mess with me, it will only give you pain and I don't want a crying, screaming pup around here." His voice never wavered when he said these words to me. Well, He is The Alpha King. He can hide his emotions very well.

"Is that so Alpha?" I took a step towards him. He stood up immediately and moved away, eying me warily.

"You don't want me and you do not care about me. Are you sure Alpha that you do not want to be with me. You don't want to feel the love and care your mate can provide you. You don't want to wake up every morning next to the person who loves you the most, who will do anything for you. Don't you want to have someone to share all your thoughts with. Don't you want to have your own kids with your mate, your own flesh and blood. Tell me Alpha.... don't you want to be a lover, husband and a father." by the time I was finished I was standing directly in front of him.

My reached out and stroked his cheek lightly. Sparks flew around me as pleasant tingles shot through my body. Tears formed in my eyes. I was looking directly into his eyes.

"I want this all for you. I want US to be happy." I whispered. His eyes were a deadly shade of blue now.

"Why are you afraid, mate? The curse will not come true. Always remember that You're mine and I'm yours. This is the truth you cannot change." By this time tears were flowing from my eyes and I wrapped my arms around his torso and buried my head in his chest while I sobbed.

He didn't hug me back but didn't push me either. We remained in that position for a while and I inhaled his intoxicating scent and listened to his heartbeat. It calmed me down I stopped sobbing. He held my shoulders and detached me from him and took a step back. Now his face showed emotion. He was angry.

"How dare you? Remove yourself from my room before I kill you." He snarled. I was taken aback by his reaction. It was complete opposite of the sweet moment we shared moments ago. Reluctantly I turned around and started to leave. Suddenly he spoke up.

"If you ever dare to pull this kind of stunt again I will reject you. Do not come near me." He spat bitterly. I left his room with tears in my eyes once again.