Chapter 46- Season 2

Berenice's pov

"Man, she just blasted so much information all at once and disappeared. It will take me a while to absorb all of this." Ryder held his head and took a seat. Charlie walked towards him and settled on his lap, nuzzling his neck.

"I will take Sara to our room. Too much stress will not be good for the baby." Adam picked up his wife in his arms despite her protests and took her away.

These past few days have been very rough for Adam. He could not spend much time with Sara because of his responsibilities and that made him a ticking time bomb. If a soldier made a minor mistake, he would explode. It's not just him, everybody is stressed and it is affecting their behavior.

"We'll take our leave." My mate's parents said and left the room after pecking both our foreheads and ruffling Ryder and Charlie's hair who were way too engrossed in caressing and nuzzling each other to notice anyone else.

"Let's go to our room. They both will need some time." my mate said and led me out of the meeting room to our room.

We both showered and ate lunch in silence. It looked like everyone forgot to smile. The upcoming danger stole everyone's peace of mind.

I was sitting on the bed while my mate talked to someone over the phone about their travel arrangements. My pack will arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to meet my brothers. It has been so long. I never thought that I will stay away from them for so long, but life happens, unexpected things happen.

I won't say that all of this is not affecting me. it is. There is a throbbing ache in my head. Sometimes I really want to bang my head on a wall. But I have to be strong for my mate. I will not let him feel burdened by all of this.

I lay on the bed and open my arms for my mate when he finishes his talk. My mate looks at me and comes to me without wasting a second. His head is buried in my chest as I wrap my hands around him, gently caressing his hair.

His stiff body slowly relaxes in my hold and I sniff him to take in his calm scent as he does the same. There is a comfortable silence between us but I could feel how pressured he is at the moment. I want him to confide in me so I decide to talk to him.

"Mate, there is something bothering you. I want to know what is the matter." I say and he looks up at my face.

"They slaughtered the whole back, Berenice. They finished them, just like that!" my mate exclaimed and sat up on the bed. I could see that he is about to explode.

I also sat up and looked at him, without speaking anything.

He needs to get it out of the system.

"I was supposed to protect them. I couldn't. They all hate me so much that they refused to be under my rule. Still, they were my responsibility and I failed them. I am just sitting here in the castle like a damn failure. There is nothing I can do and now I get to know that I am the one who is supposed to defeat the demons. How Berry? How will I do that?

Your parents were killed, my own mate's parents and I did nothing. My mate is so damn young and now she has to be a part of all this chaos. I am taking away her carefree days from her because I am just pathetic." He ranted. I could feel the disappointment coming off of him in waves.

He had a look of anguish on his face.

I never thought that the Alpha King can ever doubt himself. I always heard the stories of his ruthlessness, his victories, his bravery but never known what happens inside the closed doors of the royal household.

I could never imagine him to be this vulnerable. He expressed all his sorrows to me. I am the one he trusts and showed his true self to me.

So, what if he is the Alpha King? There are times when he is also in need of comfort and encouragement. He can also go through an emotional turmoil. My eyes welled up with tears at my mate's state.