Chapter 16

My mate came back to the room after an hour. I got up from bed and walked towards him. He understood that I have to talk to him and he pinched the bridge of his nose closing his eyes.

Excuse me? I'm not that irritating.

I was about to speak up when he cut me off.

"Not now. I'm very tired and want to catch some sleep." He said tiredly and went towards the closet to take out his night clothes. He then walked towards the bathroom.

Well, I will not bother him, he did look very tired. I went inside the closet and changed into my night clothes. Yes, I arranged my clothes in his closet because he won't let me out of this room. There are guards positioned at every corner of the castle. It feels so weird.

The security is tighter outside the castle. After the incident with my parents, my mate didn't want to take any chances. He even ordered to set up many security booths at the lands that come in the way to reach the royal territory.

My mate will assign me personal bodyguards. When Ryder told me all this, I was shocked. Those creatures are a threat to everyone then why am I treated like this?

Ryder said that there are many things that I don't know. He always talks in riddles and dodges my questions. He always says I will know once the time is right. When will be the right time?

I got back and laid down on bed. My mind wandered towards Ryder. I'm worried about him. I will ask him again tomorrow.

The bathroom door opening brought me out of my thinking state.

My mate came out freshly showered, his hair still wet.

Should I dry his hair with the towel? Stop it Berry! What is wrong with you?

He got himself comfortable on the bed and covered his himself with the duvet. My heart rate picked up. I didn't even think about this before. WE ARE GOING TO SHARE A BED!

I looked at him and my mind kept chanting only thing.

My Mate! Mine, mine, mine!

"You need to calm down." My maid said suddenly.

"Umm, What?" I asked confused. Why did he say that? What did I do? Why do I need to calm down?

"I can hear your thoughts, mate." He said with sly smile.

Holy Goddess! Kill me now!

"W-What?" I asked him embarrassed. Of course he can hear my thoughts! He marked me! I can't even think anything now. This is not fair. I'm not a wolf so I don't know how to put up the barrier to prevent him from reading my thoughts.

I looked here and there, I was not able to meet his eyes. I don't know what is happening to me. whenever he is close to me either I feel so shy or I feel like a possessive jerk.

"You-You always hear my thoughts?" I mustered the courage to ask him.

"Look at me." he said instead of answering me. I hesitantly did.

"I choose not to hear them most of the time. I heard this time because your thoughts were quite intense." He told me with a smirk on his face. I like him being expressive with me. I hate it when he has that cold stare on with no expressions on his face.

"Ok." I mumbled. He chuckled at that. This the most beautiful sound in this whole world. I looked at him through my lashes, trying not to be obvious about it. I was adoring his smiling face. I averted my gaze when he noticed me looking at him.

"I won't pry again, no need to be embarrassed." I could feel his smile through his words. I couldn't help but smile at that. I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling like an idiot showing my teeth.