Chapter 17

Ryder's POV

I could clearly remember that day when I saw him. Alex and I were at the funeral of Berry's parents when I was hit by the most pleasant fragrance I ever came across in my life. It forced me to go and find its source. It was coming from close by. I was standing with Alex when I looked around for that smell.

Then my eyes came in contact with the most beautiful pair of blacks ever and I instantly knew the person was my mate. But what I didn't expect was my mate being a male. He noticed me too. He looked so young, barely an adult. I roamed my eyes on his milky white skin that was exposed to my eyes. He was wearing a light blue Tee-shirt and shorts. His raven hair all messy because of the wind. He looked so adorable.

I noticed a light shade of pink appear on his ears and neck and his eyes cast downwards. He noticed me checking him out. He was blushing like crazy. I wanted to approach him but I couldn't. I had to wait until the funeral is over. He looked like he wanted to rush to my side, he was having a hard time controlling himself. I looked away.

How is he my mate? I mean, he is a male. I cannot be mated to him, right? I have always been interested in females so, how come my mate is a male? I don't know what to think anymore. And he is not even a Lycan, he is just a barely grown up wolf. What will people think about me? What will Alex think about me? I can't live with my best friend looking at me with a different way.

We recently got in a big fight because he accused Berry that she has interest in me. I was so mad at him. And that idiot even marked her because of his stupid jealousy. I don't want hi to be wary of me. I don't want anyone to think low of me. I am the Royal Beta. I can't accept my mate being a male. It is a mistake.

I will reject him.

****

I couldn't concentrate on anything anymore. My mind was swirling with so many emotions. I was feeling nervous. Well, I was about to reject my mate so obviously, I will be nervous. Alex kept asking what am I thinking about but I told him it's nothing. He was getting suspicious because I kept spacing out. The only face that occupied my mind was of that young, black eyed boy.

As soon as the funeral was over, I excused myself and went in search for my mate. He was standing in a faraway corner looking towards the ground where the funeral was just held as if searching for someone. I knew he was looking for me.

I sneaked up on him from behind. Jolts of electricity ran through my body when I touched his arm to turn him around. He was shocked to see me standing in front of him.

His face looked angelic from up-close. He looked at me with his innocent black eyes. I could get lost in them forever. I could feel my beast rumbling at the sight of his mate. My chest rumbled and I let out a low growl, my beast making his presence known. My mate's eyes widened when he heard the growl. He got scared. My mate should not be scared of me.

I could feel my primal instincts taking over, my body itching to feel his. I held him by his shoulders and brought him closer to me, our chests almost touching. He was shivering. Out of nervousness or fear? I couldn't tell.

He let out a small yelp when I buried my nose in his neck, breathing in his scent like a crazy person.

MINE!

My beast voiced his thoughts in my head.

I reluctantly pulled away from him. I have to talk to him. He can't be a part of my life.

He was looking at me with his big doe eyes, wondering why I pulled away from him.

"Where do you live?" I asked him, my voice deeper than usual. I was getting aroused by just looking at the tiny form of my innocent mate.