Chapter 33- Season 2

BERENICE'S POV

"M- mate?" I called out to him. We were back in our room after two hours of chatting. For the first time I saw my mate smiling and laughing so freely. They relived their childhood memories, sharing their embarrassing stories which made Charlie and her laugh like crazy.

I was lazily lying on my mate's lap and he was playing with my hair, lying comfortably on the bed, under the warm blanket. We were both relaxed as if we were free from all our problems. I know we were avoiding the dangerous situation we are in. I wanted to live in my happy bubble for a few more days before the reality kicks in.

"Yes." He replied.

"Can we go to our cabin?" I asked in a hushed voice, looking at him through my lashes, suddenly feeling shy.

"What? Can you repeat that again?" he asked in a teasing tone. He most definitely heard what I said. I gently hit him on the chest for teasing me.

"You heard what I said!" I turned my face away from him and pouted. He chuckled at my reaction.

"Do not be angry, my queen. I will take you there. I want to spend some time with you, without anyone disturbing us."

Before the shit hits the roof remains unsaid.

"I can't believe we are together, like this, being all cuddly and affectionate." I told him in a little whisper. I wasn't lying. It felt surreal.

"I am sorry I made you believe that you will never live a happy life with me." my mate said in a dull voice, full of disappointment. My eyes snapped to his and I saw guilt swirling in his beautiful blue eyes.

"I- I didn't mean it that way, please don't misunderstand me. I just wanted to say that I've always dreamed of living a happily ever after with my mate but I never thought it would be possible. I am so happy that we found each other and our relationship is progressing." I hurriedly explained him.

I just had to say the wrong thing and ruin our peaceful moment.

"I understand. I will make you the happiest woman on this planet, Berenice." My mate said with conviction and I gave him a bright smile. But I knew deep down that he feels guilty about our past. He regrets his actions that hurt me.

I already forgave him for that. He had his reasons. I want us to move past that. Move past the bad memories. I know he loves me and he will protect me with all his might. I don't need him to prove anything to me.

Ryder and Charlie also started on the wrong foot but they managed to move past that and have a happy mated life. When will we be able to do that?

If we want to be happy, we will have to move forward, forgetting the past. My mate needs to forgive himself for our happily ever after.

"We will be okay, Berry. You are overthinking. Go to sleep." he said.

Oh... he could feel my emotions, I remember now.

"I'm sorry. I don't want you to beat yourself up for what happened in the past. Can't we just let it go." I asked him, tears filling up my eyes as my vision blurred. My throat got constricted and it got difficult for me to breathe.

"Berry, No!" he immediately sat up straight on the bed with me still in his arms. He wiped my tears gently and peppered kissed all over my face.

"No more crying, Berry. No more." He said and held me close to his chest and I sobbed. I don't know why, but my heart felt so heavy.

"I'm sorry I made you cry, I'm sorry. Please don't cry. Please." He constantly murmured while he rocked me back and forth in his arms.

"Berenice." he called my name softly after I calmed down.