Chapter Twenty One: One Truth, One Lie

***Author’s Note

I apologize for updating late. I was busy, and there’s some internet issues going on so please understand. (Even if I’m a kid, I get busy)

****************************

  “Sasuke,” we broke our hug and I looked at him. He was trying to avoid my gaze, I could sense it. “Do you know who dispatched your clan?” 

   Supposedly, I was going to the Hokage’s office, but might as well ask him. I know that it’s not the right time to nag him about this, but it’s now or never. 

   But he didn’t respond. 

   I ask him once more, “Sasuke-”

  But I stopped. I stopped talking when there was water falling to the ground--- from his eyes. He’s crying. Sasuke is crying. I went near him, stretched my arm to pat his shoulder, but something stopped me from doing so. 

   Who am I to make him feel that I understand everything? 

   Of course, I don’t know and understand what he feels. 

   I don’t know anything, so I don’t have the right to make him feel that his situation is easy. 

   “Sakura...”

   Out of nowhere, his voice surprised me. “What did I do wrong?” 

   What did he do wrong? I don’t know, Sasuke. I don’t know anything about you and your clan. 

    I guess I don’t have the right to consider myself as a friend. 

   I looked at him, yet his head was down while his tears were still falling down. His hair was covering his eyes and so was his face, and I feel like I’m gonna cry, too. Seeing Sasuke like this makes me feel weak. I can’t do anything to save him from this loneliness, but I proudly state that I like him and he’s my friend. A friend who can’t even do anything for another, that’s me. 

     “Sasuke, please. Calm down. Please, stop crying. I-I’m here.”

     He uttered something again, “I know who killed my clan. But I don’t even know why he did it.”

     He? Who’s he?

    That statement startled me. “Tell me. Who did it, Sasuke? Who massacred your clan?”

     I waited for his answer, yet he cried even more. 

    Although, he said between cries the words...

    “My brother.”

    “S-sasuke?” I looked at him to let myself hear those words. 

    “My brother killed the Uchiha clan.”

     Uchiha Itachi...

     how is it possible?

   I was so surprised by that statement, that I covered my mouth with my right hand. It was all his brother’s fault why he is damn miserable right now. But why? Why would he kill his own clan?

    He wiped his eyes with his hand and looked at me with a pleading look, “Please, Sakura...do not tell anyone about it. I don’t know if anyone witnessed what happened, but I don’t want people to know what my brother has done. He’s still my brother and I can’t bear to see how he gets hurt by other people... for now.”

    I was hurt by Sasuke’s concern for his brother. Sasuke was kind, and he didn’t have to face things like these, but still, he loves his older brother and cares for him so much. 

    But I got more surprised when the Kusanagi showed up. It’s presence frightened Sasuke when he glanced on my hand. 

   “Sakura...your hand-”

   “Before I escaped, Orochimaru gave me this curse mark.”

    In exchange for his honesty, I shall confess as well. Although, I didn’t really escaped. They let me escape. But for now, let me lie with that part. It’s for the best.

    I told him the story how I got back, how I got this mark, and what things happened while I was captured. 

     “Sasuke, please don’t tell others about this as well.”

     He gave me a nod, a nod that goes without saying ‘yes’. 

     I smiled, for the very first time again, “Thank you.”