xxviii. Change Is Scary

╔═════════════╗

╔═════════════╗

✧·゚:CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT*:·゚✧

╚═════════════╝

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* aftershocks *:·゚✧*:·゚✧
date: April 3rd, 2015
location: The Playground, Classified

    ━━Clara knew exactly what quarantine felt like. She knew what it was like to sit against that glass and wonder whether these would be your last moments. She tried not to think about when she had the alien virus, and tell herself that this was different, but she couldn't help herself. Every time she closed her eyes, she was transported back to that exact moment where she stood at the edge of the cargo ramp, staring down at the ocean below and thinking: this is it

    At least back then, she had Fitz. Now, Clara Roy felt alone. So alone. Even with Skye in the medical pod beside her, she was so alone. Four walls could really hold someone in, make them think, make them look back on everything they have done. Roy spent the last three days staring━at nothing. Sure, everyone moved around her, going about their normal lives, trying to come to terms with the fact that one of their bests was gone; was dead. But it felt like a tape━a loop. Clara was watching the world go around her while she was stuck in her hospital bed, wanting everything to be out there with them. To sleep in her own bed, laugh alongside Hunter while having a beer in the kitchen after hours, chat about whatever documentary she had watched with Jemma and Skye. To chat with Trip━Trip.

    She would wake up every day, thinking that he would be there━a grin on his face and a joke to lighten the mood━only for her to remember what happened. She had killed them. He had gone down there to save her life, ony for his to end instead. Once again, someone had risked their life for hers, and she hated it. Trip, Fitz ... how could she deal with all that guilt?

    Clara looked over that day again and again in the chamber, thinking of ways she could have changed it, ways that Trip could have made it out alive. She oculd have pushed him out of the doorway. She could have destroyed the Obelisk and the crystals before the smoke hit. She could have done something━anything

    Sometimes, Clara would set her back up against the glass, hoping that someone would join her on the other side. Sit down with her, back-to-back, and try to make her feel better. To give her hope. Fiddle with some new mechanism he made and show it to her over his shoulder. But he wasn't here ... Fitz never came down. 

    Turning around on her bed, Clara went to stare out into the lab. A pair of eyes stared back at her: Coulson's. Sitting in a chair, he looked over Clara and Skye with a sad gaze. He was still healing from when Skye's father attacked him. "I haven't been able to sleep either," he said. In the medical pod next to her her, Skye sighed and sat up. Turning to face Coulson, she played with her fingers. Roy didn't sit up; she just watched them, her throat sore from all the crying she has done.