xxix. An Abomination

╔═════════════╗

╔═════════════╗

✧·゚:CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE*:·゚✧

╚═════════════╝

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* who you really are *:·゚✧*:·゚✧
date: April 9th, 2015
location: The Playground, Classified

━━Clara tried to make everything seem normal. She worked in the lab, doing her job and helping run the science division, she celebrated Trip's life with a beer and a fake smile on her face with the rest of the team. She tried to make it seem like she wasn't different. Like she hadn't changed. But there was no mistaking it. It followed her around like a shadow, her fear of suddenly causing damage. She thought she should be happy that she hasn't had an experience like Skye, where's she's also trying to hide her ability to shake the entire compound, but Clara found herself terrified over the fact that she didn't know what she could do. She walked around, sat at her desk, worked to help understand these extra macromolecules and make it seem like she wasn't doing it for herself and Skye completely on edge because what if she just burst into flames or something? The only thing she's experienced is headaches and warm body temperature like she had a constant fever, but that was it.

Unless you called the part about her weird dream to be whatever she was supposed to be able to do now. But if that ability was to manifest an annoying older brother called Leith Roy? She would like a refund, thank you. He visited almost every night, trying to talk to her. For a few of those nights, Roy tried to dream him away. She had just made him up, maybe as a coping mechanism for losing so much in such a short time, but he didn't leave. Instead, he just sat in the corner of her bunk, looking at the photos she kept on her wall and ceiling.

"Who's that guy?" he would sometimes ask, pointing to Fitz, or Coulson, or Trip, and Clara wouldn't answer. He never asked who Ward was, and Clara wondered why she still kept the photos of him, after everything he has done.

Finally, Leith seemed to have had enough, and sighed and crossed his arms. "You know I'm real, you just don't want to admit it."

Clara turned over in her bed and glared at him; lime green met lime green. "I don't have a brother," she said simply. "You are just my conscious mind trying to come to terms with all the deaths I've experienced. You are somehow the embodiment of my trauma."

"If I'm the embodiment of your trauma, dear sister, then you are seriously messed up."

She sat up and placed her head in her hands, shaking it over and over. Go away, she pleaded. Just go away, he isn't real. "The fact that my brain manifested a talking-back older brother is so annoying."

Leith frowned, "I'm real. I'm actually here. Look━" he slapped his cheeks a few times, leaning forward. For someone who claimed to be thirty-one-years-old, he sure acted like a child. "Flesh and bone━well, I'm not technically here. I'm actually alseep, just like you."