lii. Win To Lose

╔═════════════╗

╔═════════════╗

✧·゚:CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO*:·゚✧

╚═════════════╝

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* paradise lost *:·゚✧*:·゚✧
date: April 27th, 2016
location: The Playground, Classified

━━Clara squirmed in the sheets. When Fitz felt her feet hit his shin in passing, he woke up with a groggy, "What?" In truth, he hadn't been sleeping well anyway. When she didn't reply, he tried again, "What?" He felt her kick him again, and he glared up at the ceiling. "Roy, I swear━" he faltered when he saw her.

Fitz stared at her, startled to see the furrow of her brows and the clench of her fingers against the sheets under her. He turned on his side, not sure what to do. His stomach jerked with worry. She twitched in her sleep, as if something hit her, and Fitz immediately took her clenched hand, trying to help. "Clara?" he breathed, suddenly very worried. "Clara. Clara, love━wake up..."

He squeezed her hand. She didn't wake. She murmured a name, and his chest caved in to hear a fearful whisper of, "N-No—Ward..."

Fitz shuffled in closer, cupping her cheek. "Clara, love—" he tried to wake her up, giving her a small shake. "Clara—" he was ready to hold her when she jolted awake. Keeping her grounded, Fitz shushed her calmly as she started to breathe heavily, remembering where she was.

Clarissa stared at him, eyes wide and shaking. Fitz wondered whether all this Ward business coming back as It from the planet brought unwanted memories to the surface ... like the bottom of the ocean. It hurt him to see her like this. In all the time Leopold Fitz has known Clarissa Roy, he had admired how remarkably resilient and strong she was. Or maybe it was her being stubborn, but either way, he had always seen her as the brave one. But he's also been there in those moments when she's completely broken down, and he hated every moment of it, hearing her cry, seeing her so scared—he was furious, that even now, Grant Ward was hurting her and Fitz could do nothing to stop it.

Instead, all he could do was what he always did. "I know..." he whispered to her and pulled her in close. Fitz heard her muffled sobs. Her fists clenched his white shirt, and he just held her tighter, letting her head nuzzle into the crook of his neck. He pressed a loving kiss on her hair amongst the strawberry blonde. "I'm right here, love..."

"Fitz," she said simply, sniffling. He tucked some of her hair behind her ear to glance down at her. He cupped the girl he liked, the woman he loves cheek, brushing a tear away from under her eye.

"Yeah?" He asked her.

Clara was stunning. Fitz wondered what he had done to be here with her, because he certainly didn't deserve her. She pursed her lips, her fingers reaching up from his shirt to his collarbone, tracing the line of the bone to comfort her. "I'm sorry for waking you up."