lvii. Near The End

╔═════════════╗

╔═════════════╗

✧·゚:CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN*:·゚✧

╚═════════════╝

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* absolution *:·゚✧*:·゚✧
date: June 28th, 2016
location: the Playground, Classified

    ━━Leith scared everyone when they saw him in the kitchen, making himself a Jasmine tea. He didn't pay them any attention as he poured the milk accordingly, but he could feel the glance Simmons and Fitz shared━a gaze of, um, are you seeing what I'm seeing? He didn't blame them. For over five days, he had disappeared. He'd kept to himself in his room, wondering whether being alone would make him feel better; would help him understand and comprehend everything that had happened. But all he did was lie on his couch and watch weird animal documentaries the whole time.

    He's experienced death before; in quite gruesome ways. When Jack died, he was miserable. When he found out his father died, he was furious. Now? Leith ... Leith was blank. He felt like he should be feeling something, and he gave him those days to feel anything. But all that came up was a real sense of ... boredom. 

     He had had enough of it. He decided he was going to come out and make a Jasmine tea and get back into it. He wanted to feel something. Whether it be pain, anger, anguish━anything would make him feel like he was human. His mother died, and he was just watching stupid animal documentaries? What was wrong with him?

     His mother used to be everything to him. He strived for her love, her affection, he proud smile━even after she threw everything they had away. He had been envious, lost, and most importantly, alone. But then she died to save him, and told him she was proud, and it was like everything she had done didn't matter anymore. 

     Maybe Leith was still stunned. 

     Maybe he still hadn't comprehended it all ...

     Maybe he was expecting her to still be asleep, hopefully forever. 

     Leith looked down at the swirling of the milk of his tea. He kept stirring it, over and over. He didn't feel Jemma at his side before she spoke, frowning at the tea, "You hate Jasmine tea."

     He didn't. Not anymore━but that was something else entirely. Leith met her gaze, expecting to feel that flutter in his chest, or the gush of how pretty her freckles were ... but even that was gone, drowned under this strange grief he was experiencing.

     "Maybe," he muttered, turning away again. "It smells like a grandmother."

     Even his usual coping mechanism of humour was dry. Leith was just an empty shell. So, instead he took a deep breath and put on a straight face. "So, what's the news? What's the update? I've missed it all."