Maddie Has A Secret

Mackenzie
Maddie   Chloe
Nia   Brooke   Paige   Melanie

The field trip was cancelled last minute, so I was never able to ask Mommy. Back to the studio, Maddie and Chloe have solos. The group dance was inspired by 'The Hunger Games'. Brooke was going to a school dance this weekend, so she will not be competing. Kenz and I are both in the group dance this week. 

"Step put on your right and switch hands." Miss Abby tells us as we get on our starting position, "Lunge."

After working with that position for about 10 minutes, we all form a line on front of Miss Abby.

"Girls, I'm obviously going to replace Brooke." Miss Abby announces, "Maddie, I want you to go get Payton. Do not make a big deal out of it. Just go in and tap her on the shoulder and say 'Come with me'."

"Okay." Maddie runs out of studio A.

She comes back with Payton and I look up to Dance Jail, where the moms didn't look too happy. We go back to practice the group dance again. In Miss Abby's words, Payton is the huntress and we are all her dinner. 

Two Days To Competition

"Are you happy about Payton being in the group dance?" Maddie asks Mommy as we get off the car.

"I'm glad for Payton." Mommy answers, "But not for Leslie."

"Yeah." Kenzie laughs and runs off.

"Be careful, Mackenzie!" Mommy tells her.

I follow Kenzie and we both get inside. We go to the Dancer's Den, get ready, and rehearsal starts almost right after that. 

"Gia, I don't know why they're all so confused. It's the biggest competition in the United States." Miss Abby complains, "Let's go."

All of the girls leave except Maddie.

"A school dance sounds fun." Nia comments as we all sit in the Dancer's Den.

"They don't have to rehearse for weeks for it." Paige adds.

"Do you think they actually dance, or that they have a lot of drama like in the movies?" Chloe asks.

"That would be so cool!" I exclaim.

"I wanna go to a school dance." Kenzie agrees, "And wear a big dress, and dance the night away!"

"Until curfew." Paige corrects and we all laugh.

"We should have a dance like that." Nia says, "It would be so much fun."

After talking a little bit more about our dream dance, we all go back home.

One Day To Competition

I run downstairs and see Maddie watching TV in the living room.

"Why's Maddie here?" I ask Mommy, who was walking in from the kitchen.

"Abby called her to go to the studio early." Mommy tells me, "Let's go."

The three of us get in the car and starts our way to the studio. Once we got there, we all go to studio B and Maddie starts rehearsing her solo.

"Stomach tight, use your abs!" Miss Abby instructs her, "Double pique, push, pique. Turn it out!"

Mommy hands me a dollar.

"Go out there and but anything you want from the vending machine." She tells me and I leave studio B.

I walk up to the vending machine and buy some chocolate chip cookies. I would normally eat chips, but it's way too early for that. I open the bag and start eating them as I walk up the stairs to Dance Jail. Turns out Miss Abby entered Maddie in both competition for titles, and that's a secret, supposedly. Only the four of us know, not even Kenzie, so this is going to be an interesting weekend.

Competition Day

"Girls, remember what character you're playing when you step out there." Miss Abby tells us as I put the headpiece on, "You're warriors, you're survivors. So, Payton, how's the finger?"

"It's okay."

"Okay? Can I hear a good?"

"No, it's not good." Leslie says, "It's not okay."

"But it's her finger." Miss Abby says, "It's not her knee or her ankle or her thigh."

All of the moms smile as the two of them keep on talking. Mommy sews the headpiece in and I start stretching. We run the dance one more time and we all go backstage.

"All right, ladies and gentlemen, our next routine, this is 'The Huntress'." The announcer says and we all go on stage.

I'm skipping stones on a river
From the other side
You hear a sound
I can see you talk
But I can't hear a word

You're too far from the shore
And I won't cross
Shambles in you mind
Keep this for you

We all leave the stage.

"Oh, I want to rip my finger off." Payton comments about her hurt finger.

"Does it hurt that bad?" Maddie asks and Payton nods.

We all go back to the stage for awards.

"All right, your nine-to-eleven Power Division, Small Group top scores, here we go." The announcer says, "Tenth place, entry number 211, 'Annie's Song'."

We all hold hands as the announcer announces the rest of the places.

"One tenth of a point separates first and second place. Second place, entry number 169, this is 'The Huntress', with the Abby Lee Dance Company."

Paige goes receive the award and we all go back to the dressing room.

~~~

After the first two solos and awards, we were all in the dressing room when Miss Abby tells Maddie to get changed. Everyone was confused, but ya know, ignore it.

"All right, ready?" Miss Abby asks as the three of them leave.

"Melie, come on." Mommy calls me as everyone looks at me confused.

I take my tablet and run over to Mommy, who takes my hand and the four of us leave the competition place. We get to the other place and Maddie and Mommy rush off to get Maddie ready for her solo. Miss Abby and I were close behind.

"You see how professional your sister is?" She asks and I nod, "You need to aspire to be just like her, an amazing and professional dancer. I expect nothing less from you, understand?" I nod again, "Nothing less."

Do I really have to be just like Maddie?

The two of us get backstage and meet up with Mommy.

"Please welcome 'Cry', 326."

After a while, it's time for awards, so Miss Abby decided to give me my team jacket and send me on stage with Maddie , so that she wouldn't be alone.

"We have a second runner-up going to number 343, Megan Prout with 'Janet'." The announcer says and we all clap, "First runner-up for Junior Miss Starpower is going to entry number 345, Heather Spears with 'River Deep', and your Junior Miss Starpower here at Woodbridge 2012 will be entry 326, Maddie with 'Cry'."

Maddie goes receive her award.

"And what studio do you represent?"

"Abby Lee Dance Company."

This is why Maddie's always on the top of the pyramid. This is why she's the favorite, someday, I wanna be just like her.

Or even better.