Welcome Back . . . Now Don't Get Too Comfy

"Are you done yet?" I ask as Maddie braids my hair.

"Wait five more minutes, Mel." Maddie laughs.

"Girls, let's go!" We hear Mom say.

I take my dance bag, adjust my dabce clothes and rush downstairs.

We get to the studio at the same time as the other girls, except the Hylands, who arrived later.

"Kendall!" Maddie exclaims, literally jumping off the car to hug her.

"They literally saw each other last week." Kenzie comments and we laugh.

We all hug and go to the Dancer's Den. After that we go to studio A.

"Come on girls. New season, new year, new energy. Come on! Yay! No moms, whooo!" Abby exclaims and the moms walk in, "Oh, they're here. Congratulations to everyone that participated on 'Home Again.' You did it, you won. This is the fourth year that the Abby Lee Dance Company elite competition team has been going out every single weekend, and it might not be the same kids too much longer. We have some that have other opportunities, others that can't follow the rules, people that are working diligently and improving faster than ever, and other people that are too lazy to take class. So something's got to give. Everyone's replaceable. I am holding auditions in three major cities, Orlando, Atlanta and New York, and you can bet I'm gonna find some talent."

All of us girls look at each other nervously and back at Abby.

"All right, I'm gonna get right to the pyramid." Abby says as she reveals the bottom headshot, "Chloe, you weren't there."

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry I let the team down and I wish I could have been at Nationals, but I know that wasn't what happened, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm gonna work really hard this season, and it won't happen again." Chloe tells us.

"Good. Good to hear it." Abby says and she reveals the next headshot. "Payton, you apologized, you worked your butt off, let's see if you can stay out of trouble." Next one," Nia, I'll come back to you." Weird, "Brooke. Can't get a ride to come to dance class?"

"We missed one day, because we were in New York for Fashion Week." Kelly explains, "She has been here every single day that we've had class."

Abby reveals the next headshot.

"Paige. You know, for years we've said when Paige is a teenager, it's all gonna click, and she's gonna be amazing. Well, sweetheart, you're almost a teenager." Interesting, "Next, Mackenzie. You were second. I'm sorry, I think Asia would have won. Asia pushed your buttons, she made you cry. She made you pout but she made you better. She made you work harder." Next, "Melanie. You won your category and once again, you beat Mackenzie, that it's not anything new, let's see if you can keep your winning streak."

Maddie

Nia   Melanie   Mackenzie   Paige

Brooke   Kendall   Payton   Chloe

"This week, we are traveling to Wheeling, West Virginia, to attend Sheer Talent. Maddie, we have you doing a solo this week, and my other solo, which you would think would probably go to Kendall, is going to Nia. You have worked hard, so I'm rewarding you with the solo. I have a trio. Paige, you have to cut the mustard. Chloe, you're gonna bookend Paige, and you're both gonna back up Kendall. Everybody is in the group routine, as of right now. The group routine is called 'Girls Night Out'. Payton, you think you're up for a fight? All right moms, I'm gonna send you upstairs."

"What do you think she meant with a fight?" Kenzie whispers.

"I have a feeling that it has to do with Leslie and Christi." I whisper.

"Oh, right." She says and we spread apart. 

Rehearsal was just Maddie Maddie Maddie. Kinda. Also Christi and Leslie. With a little bit of defend your honor, you are the national champions, it was just uncomfortable. 

Day two, three, four, and five were almost the same, once again, the only thing I had to do was practice for the group dance, so I had a little bit more of free time. After rehearsal, we went to a concert, a singer whose name I forgot invited Brooke to perform with her, and we all went to cheer for her, Abby was not happy for that.  

Competition day is the worst kind of day, it's just stressing over everything over and over again, and let's not talk about being a soloist. We get to the competition and go to the dressing room. Abby decided to give a motivational speech, that was more motivational to the walls while the trio and soloists prepare. After that, we leave to the audience and wait for it all to begin.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is entry number 116-- this is a preteen jazz trio. Please welcome Chloe, Paige and Kendall, dancing to 'Buckle Up'." The announcer says and the girls go on stage.

Now once in my life it's going to be about me, buckle up now, I'll take the world by storm. Not gonna stop now, 'cause you had your chance and blew it, and now I'm out on a run.

After a while, the solos began and it was time for Maddie.

"Ladies and gentlemen, next up to the stage, judges, number 115 in your program, please welcome Maddie to the stage, dancing to 'Birthday'." The announcer says and Maddie goes on stage.

Promise there'll be no more tears, but I can only take what I get, what I get is that, you will never, ever let go. What I feel is that you may never, never, never want to know. 

"Now up is number 117, this is a preteen contemporary solo, please welcome Nia dancing to 'Freedom in Paradise'."

'Cause it never rains, and nothing to remind you, all you want's inside you, and all you need to find you, no one can take that away. 

The song ends and everyone cheers as Nia gets off stage. I get up and rush to the dressing room to prepare for the group dance. When I arrive Kenzie's already there with Brooke so they help me. My costume is pretty similar to Kenzie's. The only difference is probably that I wear a huge pink bow and my hair is all down. Makeup is just pink lipstick, a lot of it, and some eyeshadow.

We rehearse once, and after a little Payton meltdown and some Abby talk, we go backstage.

"This is a preteen jazz group. Please put your hands together for 'Girls Night Out'." The announcer says and we all go on stage.

G-N-O, oh, oh, oh
G-N-O, girls night out

We don't care what our boyfriends say
'Cuz we're gonna do what we want to, anyway
We don't mind, but if you get antsy
Don't psycho-analyze where we've been

~~~

"Dancers, when you hear your name and your title and your award, please collect your trophy. In third place, number 75, 'On the Edge'."

I cross my fingers and close my eyes, I hear Paige's excited whispers and Maddie's worried ones, I just hope we all placed. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, taking out overalls in preteen trio, first place belongs to--drumroll please. 'Buckle Up' with Chloe, Paige, and Kendall!"

We all cheer as the girls stand up and hug each other. 

"And now we're going into our junior soloists category. In fifth place, Veronica with 'The Attic'. Fourth place goes to Michelle, 'Almost There'."

No Maddie, no Nia, one of them didn't place and that isn't nice. I look over at both of them and close my eyes again.

"First place in the junior solo division--drumroll please. Maddie, with 'Birthday'!"

Maddie stands up and receives her award and we all cheer for her, but Nia didn't place. I decide not to look at either of them and just focus on the group category.

"To our final category in overalls, this will be preteen groups, in fourth place, 'Geek Squad'! In third place in our preteen group division, 'Girls Night Out'!"

Kenzie goes to receive the award and I look at Abby, I won't be surprised if we're all in the bottom of the pyramid except Maddie next week.