xx. 57th expedition beyond the walls

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

AS THE GATES ROLLED OPEN, Margot could almost feel her heart about to break through her rib cage

AS THE GATES ROLLED OPEN, Margot could almost feel her heart about to break through her rib cage. It's just an expedition, she told herself, hands wrapped tightly around the reigns of her horse - Elise. Her cape billowed slightly in the light breeze, sending a slight chill over her body.

The Scout Regiment began moving in the situated formation, Margot assigned to Section Commander Ness' signalling squad that also consisted of Luke Cis and Armin Arlert. Armin would have gone on his own with the two older Scouts, but Hanji had vouched for Margot, insisting that Margot would be useful in their squad. Although, the secret of Margot's abilities was still held between the girl herself and Hanji. It would remain that way for some time, unless circumstances changed.

As Ness' squad parted away from the rest of the formation, Margot focused herself on the operation at hand, her horse galloping beside Armin's at a fast but steady pace. She had a knife tucked into the pocket of her uniform, just in case she would need it to activate her blood magic. Hanji came to the conclusion that she may be able to use it against Titans, but only in close combat, not from a distance. Not until she mastered fire magic, which was for long distance attacks, which she had yet to start practicing.

   "Armin," Margot spoke, looking over at the blonde boy next to her. She could see him jumping at every sound, extremely on edge. "Relax. Nothing's going to happen to you. We've got you, okay?"

Armin looked at her, his big and expressive blue eyes filled with anxiousness and unease. He nodded, pressing his lips together as he tried to collect himself together. Margot turned back to the front.

It was quiet at first, before the hissing sound of a smoke signal going off cut through said silence. Looking up, Margot saw the red smoke. A Titan. Once the first one went off, the other squads let off their red signals, and the last was a green one, the signal eventually reaching Commander Erwin so that he would reroute the platoon. It was an efficient system.

Until it wasn't.

   "It's been a while since the last red signal," Armin pointed out to Margot. Just then, a black flare was fired. "A black smoke signal? The Titan is ignoring everyone nearby and heading straight to the centre of the formation."