xi. for humanity

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

BACK IN TROST DISTRICT, Margot had her minor injuries tended to before she was allowed to be let go

BACK IN TROST DISTRICT, Margot had her minor injuries tended to before she was allowed to be let go. She felt dejected, and weak. She felt like a burden, purely because of the power that flowed through her veins. So many people had died trying to rescue them, and while she understood them trying to save Eren, she didn't see why she was that important. In her view, she didn't add any value to humanity. She had powers, and that's all there was to it. More than half of the Scout veterans were dead. She hadn't wanted anyone to die. She didn't want Hannes to die. Just hearing of his death had only dampened her mood further, and she ended up going to her room after being tended to, left in a depressive state of self-loathing.

Sasha had been with her for an hour or so, having brought food for Margot to eat. It had been more than a day since she had eaten, the last time being before they left the outpost two days ago. Sasha had also explained a hypothesis Jean, Armin, Mikasa and Eren had come up with - that Eren could control the Titans. Margot only saw that as another added pressure to the boy - one he didn't need. Sasha left after some time and Margot was left alone, sitting in bed with her knees pulled up to her chest, cradling herself.

It didn't take long for Jean to come knocking on her door. Knowing he would let himself in whether or not she said yes, she called him in. He entered, closing the door behind himself and sitting beside her, not saying anything at first. His lips were pressed together, and she could practically see how much he was trying to find the right words to say.

   "You..." he stopped, sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose. "Why did it have to be you? This power of yours... why did you have to have it? If this is what it means, people wanting to hurt you or take you away, it's not worth it. I can't lose you Margot. I can't lose anyone else." His voice cracked a little, his hands clutching hers. "We promised, remember? That we will grow up to be strong soldiers, and when we eventually retire and go home everyone will be proud of us."

Margot felt tears welling up in her eyes, recalling the memory clearly. The only difference was that Augustine had made that promise too, and he was gone. Her other half.

   "We will," Margot spoke quietly, giving his hand a light squeeze. "We'll both survive, retire, and your mum will keep making us an endless amount of omelettes. You'll have a beautiful partner, and your kids will probably be just as annoying as you are."

   "Oh yeah? What about you and Eren?"

   "What about us?"

   "If you guys ever... you know what, no. I'm not talking about this with you," Jean decided with a grimace. "I don't even like the bastard. I don't want to think about your possible children. It's weird."

Margot laughed lightly, her worries from before dissipating as the two of them began to joke around with each other back and forth, just like old times. They knew things would never be easy in the Scouts - that much was clear. But their friendship grown over more than ten years would keep them alive.