x. the night before

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

   "EREN?" Margot peaked her head into his room

   "EREN?" Margot peaked her head into his room. He hadn't changed out of his clothes yet and was sitting at the end of his bed. Moving his eyes up to meet hers, he sat up, beckoning her forward with his hand. She walked over, seeing the sombre look on his face clearer the closer she got.

   "I spoke with Commander Shadis... He said he found my dad outside of Wall Maria twenty years ago, and they became friends. He also knew my mother - Carla Jaeger. Shadis was with my dad the night Wall Maria fell and carried me out of the woods after my dad had taken me there," Eren explained. It seemed Eren was still coming to terms with the new information. His arms looped around her waist and pulled her into an embrace, his face pressed up against her stomach. "What did you do while I was gone?"

   "Nothing much. I spent time with Levi," Margot answered, her fingers brushing through Eren's hair. Nodding, he lifted his hands to touch her waist, but paused when he felt something in her pocket. Pulling it out, he held up the silver lighter Margot owned.

   "You smoke now? I didn't notice," Eren said, frowning.

   "I don't smoke. It's Kenny's lighter... He accidentally left it with me, so I kept it." Flicking the lighter on, the flame reflected in her dark eyes, an entrancing sight to the boy. The orange flames deeply contrasted the darkness of her eyes - like a fire in a dark room. She closed it, turning the lighter over in her hand before tucking it away. "Eren... how do you feel after that meeting with Shadis? Truthfully." His grip on her tightened for a moment.

   "I realise now that I was never special. I'm just the son of a special man," Eren shrugged. "My mother said that's fine. She said I don't have to be special. But she said I'm already special because I was born into this world. And just like my father wanted, I would make a difference."

He shifted and lifted his head to look up at her, a determination in his teal eyes that was more powerful than it had ever been. It was admirable. Margot's hand gravitated to his face, her thumb brushing against his cheek. He didn't have to do anything to prove that - he didn't need to save the world. He was special. She knew that. Special to her, anyway.