xii. the stranger

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

VISITING MILA IN HER DEATHBED WAS ALWAYS DIFFICULT

VISITING MILA IN HER DEATHBED WAS ALWAYS DIFFICULT. Margot never even referred to it as a deathbed, not wanting to come to terms with the fact that the woman who had raised her as her own was dying and there was nothing she could do about it.

It had been a few days since she had returned to Trost since being kidnapped, by which time Hanji had already discussed with her the "awakening" and practiced her healing powers more. It wasn't difficult to do in theory, it was just tiring and draining.

   "Are you sure you don't want me to come? After what happened, I think you should at least take someone with you," Eren insisted, standing by her bed as she pulled on her shoes. He wasn't allowed in the girl's cabin, but he snuck in to see Margot anyway, despite the fear of Captain Levi catching him and making him do chores for the next month.

   "I'll be okay. I won't be gone for long," Margot reassured him, standing up and giving him a smile, patting his cheek gently. "And you couldn't come with me anyway, it's too risky, especially for you."

Eren didn't respond for a few seconds, as if trying to figure out more ways to object. In the end, he sighed before nodding his head, giving in.

   "Fine. But be safe, okay?"

   "I will." Margot gave him a quick and brief hug before picking up the flowers she had bought for Mila, beginning her journey to where the woman was staying.

It didn't take long to find, even if the place was on the other side of Trost. It was a small building, and Mila's room wasn't difficult to locate after asking the woman in the front, proceeding to knock on the door.

   "She might be sleeping," the nurse informed her. "She's been getting tired quicker these days. Her memory is also deteriorating. I fear she doesn't have very long left."

Margot looked up at the woman before nodding, the prickling sensation of tears building up in her eyes. This is why she had wanted to do the visit alone. She felt it would be her last and wanted to savour her last moments with Mila. Pushing open the door, she walked in, closing it behind her quietly.

Mila was in bed, as usual, her skin pale and her eyes opening and closing as if fighting off sleep. The duvet was covering most of her body, and the vase of flowers Margot had brought during her last visit had died. She quickly replaced them with the new ones, before taking a seat beside the bed.

   "Margot," Mila spoke quietly, a weak smile on her face. Margot reached out and held the woman's hand. Something told Margot the visit would be short. Mila looked as if she was only half awake, ready to sleep already. "You're all bruised up."

   "Just some training injuries, but I'm fine now," Margot said. She didn't want to tell the woman about the kidnapping, not wanting to worry her. The woman needed to rest. Instead, the two just talked, not once bringing up her sickness. Margot would talk about her training and answer any questions Mila had about Jean or Sasha and Connie - both of whom Margot spoke about during her previous visits.