xv. the time we have left

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

ARMIN WAS FILLED IN ON WHAT HE HAD MISSED the moment he woke up, Levi insisting that Eren do so

ARMIN WAS FILLED IN ON WHAT HE HAD MISSED the moment he woke up, Levi insisting that Eren do so. He was distraught to say the least, especially when finding out that only ten out of the whole Scout Regiment had survived. Armin, Eren, Mikasa, Levi, Hanji, Jean, Sasha, Connie, Floch and Margot. There were no signs of any survivors. Armin would have thrown up had Jean not handed him the bottle of water, which Armin quickly chugged down. He couldn't deal with the fact that he had eaten Bertholdt, or that he was chosen over Erwin. Needless to say, Armin had a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

   "Don't get me wrong," Levi sighed. "You'll never be Erwin's replacement. But... I know you have a strength that nobody else has but you. I won't regret my decision." Armin blinked up at the man, probably too stunned to say anything. Levi clamped his hands down on Eren and Mikasa's heads, ruffling their hair. "However, don't make these guys regret it. Nor anyone else. And don't regret it yourself, either. That is your mission."

Sasha stirred from her sleep, a grimace on her face as she tossed her head from side to side, which went unnoticed by them all until she suddenly exclaimed.

   "Shut up!" Sasha whined, before shifting and placing her head on Margot's lap. Margot, who had been awfully quiet for the past four hours since Bertholdt had been eaten, smiled, raising her hand to pet the girl's head. Hanji laughed, their eyes closed as they found amusement in Sasha's actions and words.

   "We're no match for Sasha," Hanji chuckled, before sitting up. "Well, being the successor of Erwin as Commander of the Scouts, we're kind of in the same boat, Armin. From here on out, we'll have to grin and bear it." Armin nodded sadly in understanding. "Now then, if it's not a problem, we should get going. Levi, Eren, Mikasa and I will go investigate. You five others keep watch from atop Shiganshina's wall."

   "Can't Margot come with us?" Eren asked, furrowing his brow as he turned to the girl in question. But looking at her, he saw how wearied down she looked. She had exerted her powers to the maximum, all while sporting a possible broken rib.

   "I think I'll stay here," Margot insisted, giving a small smile.

   "Yeah, Eren, she's not going to disappear in the time that you're gone," Jean said teasingly. Margot punched him hard in the shoulder, and he yelped, rubbing the sore spot.

   "Eren, do you still have the key?" Hanji asked. Eren nodded, pulling the key out from where it was hidden beneath his shirt to show that he had it.

Eren leaned down and placed a kiss on Margot's forehead before reluctantly leaving with the others to investigate the basement. She supposed he was reluctant to leave her as she had almost died twice in the past day. She didn't blame him for being so hesitant.