t h i r t y - s e v e n

j e s s i e

j e s s i e

"jordan, i'm not fucking going in there." i spat.

"i won't hesitate to drag you out of this car and into there," he threatened. "you wanna get better, don't you?"

"yeah..."

"then this is something you've gotta do! now go in there!"

"i don't wanna," i mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest. "it's embarrassing."

"the whole point of it is so that you can have a place where people won't judge you. i promise it's not gonna be as bad as you think." he assured.

"if i go, will you get me ice cream after?" i asked after a moment.

"sure." he agreed.

"and watch peter pan with me?" i raised an eyebrow.

"yeah," he nodded. "but you've gotta go in there first."

i sighed as i unbuckled. "fine."

i gave him a small wave before getting out of the car, walking into the unfamiliar building. i shoved my hands into my pockets, looking around to see about fifteen or so people, talking amongst themselves quietly.

i don't wanna be here.

there were a few people sitting it the chairs that were set out. i took a seat on the last row, away from everybody else.

i looked down at my feet as i waited for the meeting to start. i heard someone sit beside me, and i looked over at them.

i took in her appearance. she seemed to be about seventeen or so; definitely couldn't be past twenty. she had dark skin, and thick, black curls. she had hazel eyes and a warm smile.

"first time?" she asked.

"yeah," i nodded. "i don't wanna be here though."

"i didn't wanna come my first couple times either. but it's really not that bad after that," she told me. "is somebody making you come here?"

"my brother." i sighed.

"my mom makes me come." she shrugged.

she looked towards the front of the room, then back at me. "meeting's boutta start."

right on cue, a woman asked everybody to sit down and quiet down. i sat crisscrossed in my chair as she called for a moment of silence.