Chapter 12: Still Fighting

Hi, so I decided to split the last chapter into 2, so this might be a repeat for some of y'all, sorry

Fenrys

"So about last night...." Fenrys  started, recognizing Nia's footsteps as the door to his cell opened, and Nia entered to giving his morning meal.

The Wolf's sentence fell short when he saw his mate's eyes.

Empty. There were just empty.

"Nia," Fenrys proceeded carefully. "What did they do to you?" 

The fear and panic that had rushed down the mating bond, Fenrys would never forget. Nor would he let the people who caused her that to live. What was the cause of it, was his first question.

Nia was stilled dressed in her normal outfit. A mask covered her face and neck, the only thing that was revealed her dark eyes.

"Eat." She told him, more of a command. 

Aelin, she reminded Fenrys far too much of Aelin during those two months.

Fenrys didn't even glance at the food before, and repeated down the bond, what did they do to you?

His mate stared and stared at him; her expression unreadable thanks to the mask. There was just nothing, simply nothing in her eyes. 

Even with Aelin, there was usually agony or pain or some other horrid emotion. Not just-- nothing.

He supposed that Maeve always wanted Aelin to get to this point, to where she had given up. Fenrys had given his life to prevent Aelin from getting that point.

Nia, please talk to me-- Fenrys started, but Nia shut down the bond again. So that Fenrys was only beginning at his own thoughts.

Nia blinked at him again and told him to eat.

Those fucking sadists--

"Nia," he pleaded to her like how he did yesterday, praying that she could heal. 

No response.

Fenrys's heart clenched to see someone, his mate like this. Even though he could only see those dark beautiful eyes, she looked completely dead.

She was like a shell. No feeling, no emotion, no anything

He saw Aelin in her, when Cairn threw her against that wall years ago and when she lost all hope. Moments before Fenrys shredded his soul.

And yesterday she got him laughing, and he knew that she had smiled underneath the mask. Just like a single fire fly in the night, a little light in a place consumed by darkness. But that light was out now.

Was that why she like this? Because he gave her a sense of something that wasn't misery?

No. Fenrys refused to accept that. 

As did he refuse to accept her like this. 

And although it apparently did nothing, Fenrys didn't stop begging and pleading for Nia to show any sign of life. And after couple of hours' worth of torture--that was really only getting worse, he continued to plea and beg.

Because if there was one thing Fenrys was good at in life: it was being annoying.

He tried to tell her again, of the outside world, of freedom, of what the word choice meant. All of which are right not a privilege, but seemed to be a foreign policy as well.