Part 25: 'Then kiss me.'

ADELINE P.O.V

"You have got to be joking." I frown at Kat.

"No, I need you to go to the founders' ball with George Lockwood." She answers back sternly.

"But he's creepy," I whined.

"I don't care."

"But Kat."

"No."

"Please."

She just walked out knowing I would keep whining. She knew me too well.

She seemed strange this morning. I hadn't told her about my dream last night. I usually only told her when it was nightmares and this time it wasn't. I wasn't sure what it was about last night it was like Klaus was right infront of me, touching me. I could see his blue eyes stare into my own. It felt more real than any dream I had. My dreams were usually the dark evil Klaus, not the charming, cheeky, sweet Nik I knew. But that was who I dreamt about. Maybe I felt guilty about kissing Damon and my brain was tricking me into remembering Nik. I had to keep bringing the image of Anna laying in her blood, as if I didn't I knew I would fall back into the pattern of missing him.

As for Damon, I might have been avoiding him. Why? I'm not exactly sure. I didn't regret kissing him. If anything I enjoyed it. But then there was this voice in the back of my head telling me not to that I was only hurt him. Part of me knew that I would only hurt him. I was fighting with myself.

"Miss Pierce, join me in the garden for some tea," Giuseppe asked. Although Giuseppe doesn't ask he only demands.

"Of course," I replied taking his outstretched hand.

Giuseppe always scared me. He had this air around him that just made him seem like he knew everything about you. Your secrets and fears. I tried to avoid him as much as possible but somehow he seemed to always find me. He found out I had a talent for croquet and now any chance he got I would find myself playing it with him.

He must've had the servants prepare us a tea, as it was all set up when we got there.

"How lovely," I commented as I sat down.

"Only the best for my favourite Pierce." He smiled. He never smiles. Something is going on.

"You flatter me." I giggled. One of the servants came with a teapot and poured it into my teacup.

I had never been one for tea. Well, not this weird tea. Bulgarian herbal mixtures were always my favourite.  I guess it was just different kind of tea leaves mixed with herbs. It was essential that ladies drank tea. People saw it as a hobby, based on the amount of tea people drank in mystic falls.

"Forgive me if I'm being forward Adeline."

"You never were one for beating around the bush, Giuseppe."

"I want you to marry my son." I nearly spat my tea on him. Marry his son. Is he insane?

"I I um I what." It was all I could manage to say.

"Please Miss Pierce let's be honest here, both of my sons have obviously taken quite the interest in you and I believe you have returned it. You are of marrying age. I think the arrangement would be perfect." Yes, except for one little problem. I'm a vampire. It was itching to come off my tongue but I held my composure.

"Stefan or Damon." It just flew out of my mouth. He sat in thought for a second before answering.

"Preferably Damon as he is older and it would be more practical. But Stefan would be acceptable too if that is what you wish."

"I don't wish to marry, yet." He laughed.

"It doesn't have to happen tomorrow my dear, but you aren't getting any younger. And beauty fades. I think if we were to create an engagement that would be the next step." My beauty doesn't fade asshole.

"I'm afraid Giuseppe that I will not be accepting any proposals. Katherine and I have talked it over and we think it best I postpone any offers at the moment." I watched his hand grip his teacup tight enough to break. I wondered how much it would take before he had an outburst, Damon had informed me of his father's anger issues.

"Well, Adeline do you really want to end up some old women living in the street with no husband to support her. A spinster whence. We both know you don't have any parents to support you." I was so ready to reach across this tiny table and strangle him to death.

"I think you'll find many women are doing it now some don't marry till they're 25," I reply with a smile. Giuseppe thought he could bate me into submission but I won't submit.

"You're a fool if you don't accept my offer. Damon and Stefan are as good as it gets." He was gritting his teeth at this point.

"I don't argue that. Stefan and Damon will hopefully end up with someone they love, that person just isn't me." He let out an angry laugh.

"Love, love, love. What is it good for, absolutely nothing. You don't need love what you need is a husband and what Damon needs is a wife. That is the society we live in. Not some silly frivolous romance. A marriage has no room for love." He was standing up and barking at me by this point.

"Do not deny your son of something as basic as the love of another person just because you are incapable of it. That is not his fault that is not his burden."

"You have absolutely no right to tell me what to do with my son."

"Your son deserves better!"

"You disrespectful bitch!" He threw his teacup onto the ground and I watched as it smashed to pieces. All the servants around us stopped and stared.

"My answer is no. It will not change."

I walked away as fast as I possibly could.

That bastard, how dare he sit there and lecture me. Did he seriously think I would just sit there as he stood and screamed at me? I am not some dumb bitch. I was not going to fall for his whole show. He wasn't trying to get me to marry his sons because they cared for me. He was doing it because he wanted to retain the Salvatore pure-bred blood.

I hadn't noticed where I was going somehow I had found my way to the willow. I let out an angry sigh.

"You've been avoiding me." I didn't even have to turn my head to know it was Damon.

"No, I have not."

"You wound me with your lies." He slid down beside me, smirking.

"I am not lying."

"You know usually when a man kisses a woman he expects her to enjoy it and maybe even speak to him the next day, not ignore him."

"I'm not ignoring you."

"Then kiss me."

So I did.