Part 68: 'It's not a party, man. It's a wake'

Stefan was calling Klaus to lure him back to Mystic Falls. I sat in the corner biting my nails until they bled. I blocked out the conversation completely. I hadn't slept since I spoke to Klaus and he had been calling me constantly and I couldn't bring myself to answer. I wasn't sure if I was strong enough to speak to him knowing what was about to happen. What they were about to do. What I was about to do.

"He bought it. He's coming home." Rebekah hung up on Klaus and turned to everyone.

"Now- was that easy or what?" Damon looked proud of himself and something in my gut burned.

"Let's just get this over with." Elena sighed pulling the dagger out of Mikael. "I'm leaving."

"Someone's moody." Damon teased once she had left.

"Damon shut up!" I snapped. Everyone turned to look at me in surprise.

"You okay, Ade?" Rebekah asked. She looked so genuine that it pissed me off even more and I groaned before walking out of the room without saying a word.

I headed upstairs to wallow until I was forced to go to a dance I couldn't care less about.

They were gonna kill him. They were gonna let Mikael put a stake into his heart. I was letting it happen. Not that they would stop if I asked. I felt sick and disgusting and like a liar. I had everything planned, I was going to fix it all and now he's gonna die. Before I even realised it I was sobbing.

"Oh, Ade." Rebekah was standing in my doorway. I quickly wiped my face and stood up.

"I'm fine," I stated composing myself.

"No, you're not. Come here." She stepped forward to hug me but I took a step back. She looked at me in confusion.

"No offence Rebekah but I don't want or need your sympathy so please leave."

"I love him too Ade but he's not going to change."

"You don't know that!" I shouted finally giving into the frustration. "He's done bad things, I get that, he's done them to me but he can be different you know that you've seen it. And maybe I can respect and understand why Elena or Stefan would want him dead but you? Your his sister and I'm sure he's been cruel and vindictive but your murdering him for something that happened a thousand years ago. He killed a woman who cursed him, who cursed all of you, someone who stood by while your father beat him dead. So forgive me if I see his reasoning." I spat it all at her with venom. She reeled back as if I had slapped her and I saw the look in her eyes change.

"You stand there and judge me for my decisions? Look at you, he's pulled your heart apart time and time again and yet you allow him to stitch it back together around him. Your right you don't need my pity but obviously your so desperate for someone's love you're willing to beg for his." She span on her heels and stormed out of my room slamming the door.

I fell back onto my bed and allowed myself to sob into my pillow. Maybe Rebekah was right maybe I was that desperate for love but Klaus never once made me beg.

I was so utterly exhausted I was dragged into sleep.

I was awoken by someone sitting down beside me. I opened my eyes to see Damon smiling down at me.

"Caroline says you need to get ready now." He spoke softly.

"Do I have to go?" I asked. Damon knew I had been crying.

"You know how Caroline is." He replied smiling slightly. I sat up and put my head in my hands, I counted to five preparing myself and stood up. "I could get you out of tonight? If you wanted." I knew what he was trying to say, he wanted to know if I could really go through with tonight or was I the weakest link.