Chapter 4 - Maeve

Maeve's scalp tingled again. She discovered a young male across from her with a lost expression on his lean, angular face. His longish dark hair somewhat obscured his green almond-shaped eyes. After her experience earlier, she couldn't handle it again. The emotional impact of another's soul. The insight into who they really were. Not again, please, not again.

The room faded, everything twisted into a mass of colors that swirled around her and made her nauseas. She tried to focus on the window or wall, anything, but only saw his green eyes. Her stomach bottomed out as heat rushed from her body. She gripped the table and prepared for the inevitable.

In a flash of brilliant white, everything was gone except what lurked in the man's soul. 

###

The metallic scent of the bloody pile of animals assaulted her nose. Her small child's hands shook as she dug at the earth and tossed dirt aside. Cold tears ran down her cheeks. Worried about her cousin, but unsure how to help. She had to hide this. Had to protect him.

She dashed through the doors and hoped none had noticed her tardiness. Late for her shift twice this month, her position was at risk. Pushing her bangs back, she adjusted the waist of her scrubs, content to be back at the hospital. The unit was slow, only the typical load for the ER. Not fast enough, escape impossible. An imposing man with harsh grey eyes easily caught her thin arms and yanked her. A distinct snap filled her ears as pain radiated down her arm. Broke. He screamed at her. She wanted to disappear.

The candles and components placed with precision, all the details exact. He would be disappointed if she made an error during the ritual, unable to preform it again for months. She scratched at her neck. Her focus waned. Needed a quick fix, just enough to push through the night.

Her eyes flicked to a stern faced woman before she lit the pyre and watched the bodies ignite. The scent unpleasant, but she had become immune to it. Had to be certain they would not return from the dead. Sometimes creatures that should remain dead refused to. The older woman approved her work.

Like a deer caught in headlights, the girl with pale blue eyes nodded. Her child's hands shook as she cut into the girl's shoulder. Terrified or not, it was necessary to protect her cousin. No desire to injure the girl anymore than needed, but she could not lose him. He would go to jail or his father would actually kill him. He was the only one who cared about her; he was her only friend. An exotic dark-haired woman held her so close, her tiny body fit perfectly in the woman's arms. The woman kissed her cheeks until she giggled. Her heart twisted; it was the only memory of her. Unable to recall her face or voice. Just this.

She moved the bone saw with practiced precision. Needed to invest in an electric one to speed the process. At least she was left alone. It was the only work he thought she was adequate with. Sighing, she stared at the body. It would be a long night.

She dodged the huge clawed hand, much faster than most creatures anticipated. She ducked and slashed her blade across its abdomen. It shrieked and grabbed at its entrails as they slipped to the ground.

Fear and panic enveloped her as she jerked against the chains. She had agreed to it, but there had to be another way. She despised herself; deserved whatever they did. Still, she yanked the shackles as hard as possible. The blistering pain on her chest so intense, everything went white. 

###

Maeve fell forward and almost struck the monitor. She raised her pounding head and peered at the male with watery vision. Confused by the impressions and feelings that'd assaulted her. Her chest still ached from the burn. Her hand trembled as she wiped her moist eyes. The images and sentiments she'd experienced were mostly horrible, but there'd been something endearing, something almost beautiful inside of him. Covered by layers of anguish, obligation and seclusion, but she sensed it. His eyes stayed locked on hers.