Chapter 45 - Maeve

The small hardware store was like every other one she'd ever seen, jammed packed with as many items as possible. There were eight aisles and in the back she heard a wood saw. She followed Ander and assumed they'd pick up the first items on the list. Instead, he went into the fasteners aisle where Will stood. She almost walked into Ander because he stopped before they reached him, confused she looked at Ander. His eyes moved pointedly to the shelf in front of them, so hers did too. She stared at all the different type of screws and nails and wondered why he wanted her to see them when she heard Ander's voice so soft she hardly made out the words. He'd asked Will about the list. She glanced at Will, who didn't acknowledge either of them, but he answered with one-word answers or a slight movement of his head. Had Will stormed in there intentionally? Maeve shifted on her feet and pulled a section of her hair and pulled her fingers through it.

"Here you can make yourself useful," Will said louder and turned toward them.

Who was he talking to? Ander answered by leaving the aisle. Will handed her several boxes of screws and nails. Though the boxes were small and not heavy individually, the more boxes he added, the more cumbersome they became. She stared at the boxes and wondered why they needed so many screws and nails. She'd added it to the list back at the motel, but didn't understand why.

"Too heavy?" Will snickered at her discomfort.

She stuck her chin out and shook her head. Even if they'd been, she wouldn't admit it to him. Will led her into another aisle. Where'd Ander go? She struggled not to drop the many boxes in her arms.

A contrite expression flashed across Will's handsome features. "Wait here,"

Seconds later, he unloaded the many small boxes from her arms into a basket. She reached for the basket, but he held onto it and shook his head no. She reached for it again, but he grabbed her hand. As soon as his hand touched hers, his eyes softened. Most of the time, Will's eyes were narrowed with suspicion of everything. But when he relaxed for just a moment, she could see more of their color. Even though they were smoky grey, they sparkled in light. She wanted to pull her hand away, he'd been such a jerk but every time his warm skin touched hers she felt lightheaded and unable to break contact.

"I'll carry these. I was being an asshole. I shouldn't have." his expression changed to the one he'd worn when he'd gazed at her from the bed.

She took a deep breath. His rich scent of oak and bourbon filled the air. His hand slid up her arm to her neck. She licked her lips and bit her lower lip, unsure of his intentions. She flushed and cast her eyes to the shelves. His hand moved around to the back of her neck, his fingers threaded into her hair. Was he going to kiss her? In the distance, a bell rang and signaled someone entered the store. He pulled his hand away.

Maeve moved her eyes back to him and expected him to glare at her with narrowed eyes, but was surprised to find his charming smile. Will's charming smile was almost irresistible. With his charming smile, he didn't look like himself. Or maybe it's what he could've looked like if he wasn't a Soldier of Night, always battling monsters and serious. His well cared for straight even white teeth showed, but not too many making it creepy. Not too gummy or exaggerated, it was carefree and dazzling. He winked at her and held out his hand. Blood rushed through her veins as she placed hers into his.