Chapter 58 - Maeve

Maeve's stomach clenched when the motel room door opened. Ander glanced at her on the way to his bag and grabbed clothes before he went into the bathroom. Will sat on his bed across from her with narrowed eyes. What suspicions did have have now? She had done nothing other than sit on Ander's bed and waited for them to resolve whatever issue they'd fought about. Still irritated with both of them, but as she gazed at Will's smoky, deep-set eyes and square jawline, her heart skipped a beat.

"Are you going to tell me what that was about?"

"Nope." he looked the mini fridge where all the alcohol was.

"Fine,"

"When Ander's done cleaning up, we need to prep for scouting. Grab some weapons, just in case." he turned his steel-grey eyes back to her. "Remember what you agreed to, you listen to me and you stay in the SUV."

"I already told you I would. Why do you think I'm not going to listen to you?" she'd complied with even his most absurd requests.

"Normals never listen. They vow they will and then in the middle of a mission they get scared, curious, whatever and they fuck everything up."

"Oh, so now I'm a normal? Because any other time you keep hinting that I'm some sort of freak who can't be trusted? So which is it? Am I a useless normal? Or pain in the ass creature?" she stood.

If she'd been thinking, she'd have realized standing would be perceived as a threat. His confession filled her mind. He liked her being with them, he liked her. If that was the truth, how could he be so horrible? Will bolted up and was in front of her before she had time to react. The heat and anger radiated off his body.

"I don't think you want me to answer that."

Even in her anger she needed to handle her words carefully; the violence rolled off him in waves that crushed her. "I haven't done anything to make you not trust me." She leaned forward so their bodies touched and put her hand on his stiff arm. "I haven't lied to you. I'm not questioning your authority. I know you're trying to keep me safe." her tone shifted softer and her cadence slowed.

The tension left his arm. Her eyes flicked to his mouth. The memory of their first morning and the hardware store made her blood heated. He would've kissed her if someone hadn't entered the store. His free hand slid up her back and crept to the back of her neck.

"I don't want you to get hurt. You don't understand what our life if like,"

"I know. I want to understand. I want." she took a deep breath and licked her lips. Couldn't finish her words. Still angry at him, particularly after he admitted he enjoyed her company and then treated her like a bothersome burden again. Her body had other intentions. At night when he held her, she was heated, safe, and longed for more.

Something bright and golden flashed in his eyes, like a tiny explosion of light in his irises. Her breath caught in her throat, fascinated by his eyes. His fingers threaded in her hair as he pulled her to his chest. Should've pushed him away and told him to go to hell. But she wanted to feel his lips on hers just once. Easy to lie or be conflicted with your words, but a kiss was honest. Her eyes slid closed as she melted against him, their breath mixed hotly as his heat licked against her skin.

Will's body shifted to stone. He removed his hand from her hair. Confused, her eyes fluttered open. Will stared at the bathroom door. He glanced at her for a second before he stepped back with a clenched jaw. Embarrassment made her break out into a sweat as she stepped back until she sensed Ander's bed on her calves. The bathroom door opened. Ander carried his dirty clothes to his bag, now clad in all black, like the first night she'd met them.