Chapter 56 - Maeve

Maeve stopped pacing when she heard Will's voice. She'd known they were going to argue. Will was furious when Ander had just walked out. He'd vented about disrespect and not following the code for several minutes. She'd tried to suggest maybe Ander had been struggling with his addiction, and that was why he needed to run. Will had glared at her, even though he'd told her as much yesterday. She went to the window and peeked out from behind the curtain.

For a long moment, she stood mesmerized as they attacked each other. Both moved so quickly her eyes had a hard time keeping up with the actions. It was almost beautiful to watch them fight. Their fluid movements enthralled her, she'd never seen such grace from people who wanted to hurt each other. It was reminiscent of a deadly dance. They fought so differently, yet there was a balance. Neither one's skill tremendously superior over the other's. She shook her head to break the trance.

Her heart thundered in her chest. She couldn't let them do this. They were about to go into a vampire hive. Letting go of the curtain, she threw the door open and stomped into the parking lot. They rolled around on the ground.

"Do you always wrestle in parking lots?"

They stopped and separated. Will cleared his throat and Ander's shoulders slumped. Ander slid back until he sat against the tire of the SUV. Her eyes flicked to the dented back door before they rested on Will. He cleared his throat again, pulled out his flask, and took a long drink. The bright sun beat down on them, Maeve squinted and wait for either of them to speak.

"Why were you fighting?"

Will averted his eyes. She moved her hands to her hips, annoyed by their childish behavior. She slid her eyes to Ander, who gazed back at her. His expression pained, he wanted to tell her, but the longer she stared at him she realized he wouldn't. She rolled her eyes back to Will and fumed. As usual, Ander deferred to Will to make the choice.

"Fine. When you 're done acting like children and want to clue me in, I'll be in the room," Maeve spun on her heel and stomped away.