Chapter 28 - Will

Will's phone vibrated. He looked at the screen while Ander droned on about different possibilities of what her abilities might be. Not a spell, that much they knew. Ander said casting a spell was a considerable cognitive load. Why couldn't he just say you had to concentrate? Besides, someone couldn't accidentally cast a spell. It always required shit. Pieces of this and that or pinches of other crap. Will had no idea why Ander went into such a long explanation, except he just wanted to talk about magic. Will's shoulder's tensed. An image of Ander strung out in more ways than one, not even a year ago, crossed his mind. He tipped the beer back and took a large drink. 

Dale, another Soldier of Night, from the mid-west, had called. Will glanced at Mason. Mason's eyes flicked to Will and paused, still typing on her phone. Will nodded. Something had crossed the line, must've been why Dale called. Will slowly moved his eyes to Ander and Maeve, talking about dormant powers and then back to Mason. She raised her eyebrow at Will.

He finished his beer and stared at the two of them again. His eyebrows drew together. Would Ander be ok without him? Fuck if he knew. For the most part Ander had been pretty stable for the last month, only a few brief hallucinations, and Will had been able to get him back to reality without any major problems. Issue was, there was almost no warning when Ander was about to mentally check out. Sometimes his timing was shit. Especially if they were on a mission. Will's jaw tightened as he put the bottle back on the table. He wouldn't give up on his cousin, they'd figure something out. They always did.

Will cast his gaze to Mason. Her mouth twisted in impatience. Shit or get off the pot. He vigorously rubbed the back of his head where his hairline met his neck. Ander could handle babysitting duty, Maeve seemed to calm him, anyway. It'd be fine. Had to trust Ander at some point. He nodded once to Mason. She typed again on her phone. Ander stopped talking and looked at Will. Fuck, he knew something was up, damn it, they spent too much time together. Will opened another beer and took a long drink to buy time.

"Will, I need you to assist on a mission," Mason said in a firm tone.

He had an urge to hug her. "Something cross over the line?" he referred to the invisible territory lines put in place by the Soldiers of Night.

"Yeah, we need to move out." she stood.

Ander got up and slid his knife into the sheath. 

"Not you. You're on babysitting duty since you're going through the entire player's handbook and monster manual," Mason told him, the corners of her mouth tilted up at her own joke.

Ander stiffened and then relaxed. Apparently, he appreciated her humor.

"Seriously, someone has to watch over her and my place and your best to do it. You understand how my security works," Mason told him with a wink.

Ander straightened and smiled. "How long will you be gone?"

"Overnight, maybe a couple of days. Depends on how quickly we find it. Won't take long to take care of things once we do. Will, pack up. I'm going to get supplies." She smacked her book against her palm, a spring in her step as she left the room. Mason loved a good mission and these days she didn't go on many, always too involved on the logistical side of things for the SON's or brokering deals.

"You good?" Will asked, and gestured to Maeve.

Ander stared at the doorway and twirled his knife again, but nodded. Will glanced at Ander again. He needed a shower. The insides and blood of the bodies were still on him. Dismemberment was messy work. Ander was definitely the best at it since he was basically a doctor and in general enjoyed taking things apart. Well bodies anyway. But the mess and stink after weren't fun for anyone, at least not in Will's opinion.