Chapter 14 - Ander

The business park parking lot was almost vacant. A logical conclusion given it was Saturday. He and Will assessed their weapons, as habit, before exiting a vehicle.

"Ander, why am I scouting locations with you?" Maeve asked behind him.

Will's movements paused for a moment before he continued to the next weapon. Ander had objected to them to sharing a bed last night. The unusual interactions this morning surmised he had been correct. Before Will replied and made the situation worse, he chose to engage in conversation.

"We discussed the best options for your safety and determined that you should remain with us until the completion of this mission."

Will shot him an irritated look. Damn it, he needed to remember to speak more plainly.

"We're on the mission right now?" a hint of excitement filled her voice.

Unable to control his reaction, he found it endearing. "Technically, yes. Although currently we are only checking locations where the creature we are tracking has been seen. This particular creature has evaded our efforts for some time."

Will cast a nasty glare at him, intended to silence him. Will did not want Maeve to learn anything about their mission or the creature. Ander disagreed. There was a possibility, although not plausible, they could cross paths with the monster. If she had some idea what they were dealing with, the more likely she would be to adhere to their instructions.

"Oh, ok. Do I need to know anything else? Or what should I do?"

Will grumbled in his seat. He had no right to be so agitated he had invited her into the situation.

Ander ignored him. "When we exit the vehicle, you need to stay close to us and listen to what you are told, for your safety. What we do is dangerous and unpredictable." he twisted around to face her.

For a heartbeat he could not speak. The sunlight touched her dark locks and lit them with fire. How could he have not viewed her as beautiful? Regardless of having a common, forgettable hair and eye colors. She was not common in any way. Her large dark eyes with long eyelashes were bright with curiosity. Her pink rosebud lips that smiled when he spoke made his heart pound in his chest.

"Right, because you destroy the monsters." her eyes became unfocused. "And you never know what they'll do when you corner them." she finished.

Ander's eyebrows went up. Will became as still as a statue. Those were Will's words, or they had been when he had a civilian with them previously. She blinked and looked around the vehicle nervously.

"Yes, that is true," Ander began cautiously. "For the moment, you will stay behind Will, and I will follow you. Alright?"

She nodded. They left the vehicle and headed behind one of the two-story buildings. Ander noticed her steps were not as wide as his or Will's. It was more effort for her to keep up with them. He attempted to ignore the curve of her bust to her waist and then to her hips, but mathematically it was balanced and pleasing.

They found nothing at the business park and moved to the second location. Ander sensed she had many questions, but each time she began to ask, his cousin shot her a violent look that quieted her. After searching at the third location, Will's cell phone vibrated. They paused in an alley between two buildings. Will stepped away to take the call.

"Am I doing ok?" Maeve asked and shifted her stance several times.

He nodded. An odd urge to touch her in a reassuring way crossed his mind. That made him pause. He disliked being touched and for the most part did not like touching others except when needed. He glanced at his hands. Revulsion and pride made his throat clench. Equally, he had done so many terrible and wonderful things with his hands.

"I'm not going to work tonight, am I?" she asked.

He snapped his head up. It was such a simple question any normal human would have. He did not want to tell her it was not likely she would ever return to her place of employment or her previous safe existence. He shook his head no.

"Crap, I need to call out then, so they can have someone else come in."

"That will not be necessary." he paused and wanted Will to return so he did not need to have this discussion. Will was still conversing, and waved his arms around. Whatever was being discussed, he did not enjoy it. "They are aware you will be out for a bit," he finished, and hoped that would be the end of the conversation.

"They are? How? I didn't call anyone." She stared at him for a long moment, stepped back and crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at him. "You did it last night, when you were on the computer. What did you do?"

Ander looked at the wall just behind her shoulder. When would Will be finished? He wanted to lie. It was easier to placate humans with a fabrication. "Yes. They were notified you had been in a vehicular accident two towns away. You are in the ICU, no visitation allowed." the words tumbled out of his mouth. Why had he not lied?

"Are you kidding me? You told my work I was in a car accident and I'm in the hospital? Holy crap! I don't." she threw her arms up in frustration. "I don't know what I'm supposed to say. Shouldn't you have asked me? Is that why you wanted my license?" she raised her voice.

Will noticed and began to wrap up his call.

"No, that was not." Ander did not like confrontation and he especially did not want Maeve to be cross with him. It was his responsibility to take care of such things. "That was not the only reason. I was researching," he faltered under her angry glare. "I should have consulted with you," he whispered.

Her face softened, and she stepped toward him. He stiffened at her approach and looked at the ground.

"Yeah, you should've." she paused. "But you aren't used to asking, are you? You just take care of things." she leaned toward him, her hair brushed against his shirt.

He pulled his eyes off the asphalt to meet her dark eyes. He nodded.

"I shouldn't have yelled at you. I was upset, but that doesn't make it ok. Next time just keep me in the loop?"

He wanted to respond to her verbally but could not, and nodded instead. She had apologized to him for raising her voice when she perceived that he had done something wrong. Never in his life had anyone done that. He had been rewarded for his honesty. Ander stood unmoving in shock. She stayed directly beside him, almost touching him, but not quite. He found it oddly comfortable.

"What the fuck are you over here yelling about? Do you want us to get noticed?" Will asked her harshly.

"How about next time you decide to send me to the hospital from a car accident, you mention it?" she snapped back at him.

"That was what you were going on about?" he shook his head. He turned to Ander and dismissed her completely. "Mason called some heavy shit is going down. She has to bail. We need to wrap this up," Will turned back to face Maeve, "quickly, so we can get out of here."

Ander watched Maeve's face crumple from hurt. Not entirely sure why his cousin's statement wounded her so badly, but the pain was evident.

"Nothings here. We need to head to the next spot." Will brushed past them, headed to the SUV.

Maeve blinked in an effort not to cry, but her eyes were watery. Ander wanted to say or do something to help, but stood quiet and waited for her to walk to the SUV. Unless he performed to gain information from humans, most often he did not know what to say to comfort humans.

"We should," he started.

"Yeah, I know. I know." she walked briskly by him towards the SUV.