Chapter 59 - Maeve

Maeve sat in the passenger seat and tried to stay calm. Two miles away from the hive and they weren't going any closer until an hour before dawn to remain unseen. They'd been there for over an hour. Will and Ander seemed relaxed and comfortable. She wasn't. The possibility of danger frazzled her nerves. She tried several mental exercises, things she'd have told patients at the behavioral center to calm down, but gave up. None of them worked. Her intuition warned danger was close and they should leave. They'd dismissed her, citing they'd done this dozens of times. Her stomach twisted.

"Relax and try to sleep." Will drank from his flask. It was the first drink he'd consumed since they'd been there, and unlike every other time he drank, he only took one sip and put the flask away.

"You should sleep first. Both of you. You're the ones that have to make sure it's the hive. It wouldn't hurt to take a nap. I mean, if it's the hive then I have more time to sleep later in the room while you two do what you do."

Will considered her words and then changed his position in the seat. He moved it back before he tilted it all the way and made it impossible for Ander to sit behind Will's seat. Ander gave Will an annoyed expression, but he just grinned and winked at him before he closed his eyes. Ander shifted to the middle area of the seat.

"I do not need to sleep. I rested earlier,"

Maeve wanted to disagree with him but considered how little either of them slept. There was truth in that. She moved her seat up and then tilted it down so she could see Ander. Turning until she sat almost backwards. He looked up from his phone with surprise. While she waited for Will to drift off, she gazed at Ander's handsome face. She loved the sharp angles of his cheeks, his brilliant green eyes with long lashes and shaggy dark hair. Every-time she saw his bangs fall and cover his eyes it took all her willpower not to reach out and push them back. She thought he might look away as she studied and appreciated him, but instead he returned her gaze.

"Why don't you want to sleep?" her voice returned to the silvery sound she didn't recognize. His pupils dilated, and he took a breath before he answered.

"Mostly the nightmares," his voice barely above a whisper.

Will was sound asleep. His even breathing, body posture and the heat that rolled off his body made the interior of the SUV warm.

"Nightmares about what?"

Conflicted expressions crossed his features before he answered. "Primarily about the sorcerer."

"Who's the sorcerer?" she wasn't sure she was supposed to ask, or maybe it wasn't a great time to ask, but her intuition urged her to continue.

"He was... a mistake,"

"Do you have nightmares every time you sleep?" The air between them was heavy and thick. She bit her lip.

"Unless I am with you." his eyes moved to her lips.

"Oh." She had more questions, so many more questions she'd wanted to ask him because Will was asleep. But as she stared into his forest eyes, she couldn't think of a single one. Her heart raced in her chest, but not out of the anxiety she'd felt earlier. It was something different.

"Were you, were you ok this morning? When we left I mean," she stumbled over her words.

"Yes. The last thing I thought about before I returned to sleep was you requesting I rest. When I woke I recalled," he paused. "when you were beside me, just before you left."

Had he blushed? She couldn't tell since the vehicle was dark and his phone screen had turned off. Maeve ran her teeth over her bottom lip. Everything had been fine until she'd asked him to rest. Then she'd felt as she did now. What's wrong with me? She'd wanted away from both of them that afternoon. Using willpower, she shifted her view to the window.

"So it really does help when I sleep with you," she whispered. Her intuition hadn't steered her wrong with either of them. Sleeping with them gave them peace they otherwise couldn't maintain on their own. Tonight was Will's night, but they wouldn't be sleeping in a bed.

"More than you know,"

Ander's gaze penetrated her, her stomach fluttered in response. It'd been tight with worry only minutes ago. Now it was light and fluttery. Her heart picked up speed, and she couldn't catch her breath. Afraid to look at him, worried how she'd respond. She closed her eyes. She sensed his touch on her hand before his actual fingers grazed her skin. Her eyes snapped open.

"Are you alright?" concern laced his voice, but his eyes were full of sparks.

She nodded, but didn't pull her hand away. His touch benign, but she flushed and craved more. What would his cool touch be like on her bare skin, would it give her goosebumps or would it electrify her with its ice? She licked her lips and drew his attention back to her mouth.

"Are you certain?" he tore his eyes from her lips.

"Yeah. I'm just worried, I guess." she laced her fingers through his and stared at their clasp hands.

More at ease when they touched, always better when she touched Ander or Will. He inhaled. Her eyes flicked to him. He was awed by the sight of their hands weaved together.

"Are you ok?" she wondered if she'd gone too far, holding his hand. She started to remove her fingers, but he held on.

"I am alright, now," the corners of his mouth tilted up in a small smile. His gaze remained on their hands.

"Me too," she breathed.

The thought of climbing in the back seat beside him crossed her mind, but she knew there was no way she could without waking Will. He wouldn't understand why she wanted to be close to either of them, or why it comforted her. Ander may not have been used to people touching him without wanting to hurt him, but she aimed to fix that. It was her duty because she'd been allowed to see his soul. Who else would take the time or effort to show him not all people wanted to hurt him?

His glossy eyes caught hers, still intense but filled with something else, too. Gentle caring cascaded over her like a cool breeze. Peace filled her and stilled the whirlwind of anxiety. Her mind stopped racing, and she thought clearly again. Her eyes widened with awe. Had he done that? The questions that had fled her mind slowly came back, but as much as she wanted answers, she wanted this more. The tender feeling of peace and contentment with Ander. Her questions would have to wait.