Chapter 70 - Will

Maeve shifted in her seat again. Oddly, it made Will more attracted to her, liked that she didn't like bars. He downed the shot and glanced at the two empty shot glasses in front of him. She adjusted her skirt and bit her lip before she turned her head to him. He smiled before he could stop himself. Shit. He gripped the shot glass and wiped the smile from his mouth. The glass cracked under the pressure; he let it go.

He stood and refused to look at her but checked her drink, almost at the same level it'd been before his three shots. He motioned for her to stay and strolled to the bar. With practiced movements, he scanned the exits. Wouldn't alert any of the patrons unless they lived a similar lifestyle, or were law enforcement or soldiers. If anyone else noticed him, they'd think he searched for the bathroom or a friend.

The usual stereotypes filled the room. If it'd been another time, Will would've charmed the sexy woman with daddy issues by comforting her for a night. Instead, he ordered four more shots. Will's "relationships" were mostly made of up of one-night stands or something that lasted a week. Didn't have time for commitments and didn't have any interest in them. Ander always romanticized relationships, but Will had no delusions. The only relationships he'd witnessed were fucked up or brief. Had enough on his plate and didn't need affairs mucking things up more. He understood his role in life. He was a soldier.

As a Soldier of Night, he needed to fulfill his duties to create, preserve, and destroy. Doubtful he'd meet his requirement to create, but he'd executed his obligation to preserve and destroy. Until she'd come into his life, he'd spent all his days preserving mankind and destroying its threats. She was a distraction from missions and without meaning to screwed up his priorities. Over the last week, he'd caught himself doing shit, unlike him, just to please her. Fucking unacceptable.

Will returned to the table and noted the narrow corridor to the bathrooms and the fire door at the end of the hall. Perfect escape route or funnel of death, depending on what the situation called for. He motioned to her to drink; she picked up her drink and sipped it. He stared at her rosebud lips again and wondered what she tasted like.

Downed another shot and leaned back before his eyes flicked to the ceiling. Wanted to touch her hair. Still remembered the scent when she'd hugged him. How her breasts pressed against his chest. He cleared his throat and downed another shot. While staring at the empty shot glass, he blurted out the locations they'd go to tomorrow. Damn it, kept doing that. Saying random, stupid things.

He tapped his fingers on the table to resist the urge to hit himself and rubbed his jaw instead. From his peripheral, she leaned closer. Her scent blanketed him and made him lightheaded. Will clenched his hand to not touch her. He imagined pulling her on top of him, her hair against him, while he buried his face where her shoulder met her neck. His teeth tingled.

He sat back and put distance between them. Drank another shot. His hand trembled, not enough for her to notice, but he did. Maybe he should fuck her to stop the bullshit distracting thoughts. Maeve leaned over and repeated what she'd said when someone bumped into her chair. She lost her balance and almost fell into his lap. Her scent engulfed him and her soft locks brushed against his arm and face when he caught her. Cloves and fresh leaves. His grip tightened on her arms. Her eyes widened in surprise. Wanted to pull her on his lap and fuck her until she understood she was his forever.

Stop. Release her! the voice barked at him.

Will let go. She sat back with glossy eyes. Shit hoped he hadn't accidentally hurt her. His forever? Maybe he was more drunk than he'd thought. Fuck it all. He'd wanted to go out and chill, see if he could get focused. She hadn't even tried, and he couldn't ignore her. He drank his last shot and finally felt the alcohol's effect. Comforted by the liquor and more confident, Will switched the conversation to mistakes he and Ander had made when they were younger.