Chapter 60 - Will

Will woke, his neck and shoulder stiff with pain. He ignored it and adjusted in the seat. Movement on the passenger seat drew his attention. Maeve changed her position and faced the window to curl up. Wanted to pull her body against against his. Ashamed to admit, he'd grown used to her being in his bed every other night. It'd only been three nights, but there was an easy familiarity he didn't want to acknowledge. He assumed it was cause he wanted between her legs.

He rubbed his face and then the back of his head. Still didn't know what the fuck she was. Why did he keep thinking about that shit? He pulled out his flask and stared at it with longing. Normally wouldn't drink until they were done checking the location. Course, if things were normal, they wouldn't wait for another dawn to attack. If she wasn't there and they discovered it was the nest, as long as the sun was up they'd go in. Either way, he was gonna miss his night with her. For fuck's sake! Why did that matter? Maybe it was what Ander talked about earlier. He just wanted some peace.

He turned his head. Ander sat in the back and stared at his phone, but still on watch. Ander was always on one device or another. Will was sure whenever they invented someway to jack directly into the internet Ander'd be first in line. Not him. Fuck all that. The internet was useful for all kinds of things but he'd no interest in being connected all the time. Ander had finally convinced him in the past couple of years to switch to a smart phone. He hated the damn thing at first but it was ok now.

One of his favorite past times when he was bored was watching YouTube videos, had everything on there. He glanced at Maeve his lips twisted in irritation, he'd forgot his headphones, so no videos. He peeked at the sky from the dashboard window, close to dawn. The idea of sitting. No smokes, no drinks, and no entertainment made him twitch.

Maeve's breathing deepened. Asleep. With closed eyes, he thought about how she felt when she slept in his arms. Her entire body molded against him perfectly. Its softness comforted him in ways he couldn't explain. And she smelled so fucking good. The only time he could enjoy and take his time to appreciate her scent was when she slept. Still wanted her gone. Too much with her close and knowing nothing would or could come of it.

He stared at the ceiling of the SUV. Exactly why she needed to leave. He was in the middle of a mission and distracted by a female. She might be a monster or a sleeper agent. A beautiful monster or sleeper agent, but if she ended up either of those, the result would be the same. Could he take her head now? Fuck. He needed a drink.

"Andy,"

A flicker of annoyance crossed Ander's face before he raised his eyebrows. Will turned his head toward Maeve. Ander nodded to show he understood.

"After the hive, I'm calling Mason. We can't operate like this."

Ander furrowed his eyes brows. He disagreed.

"It was always temporary. I get what you were saying, before I mean. But its fucked up to put a civilian in danger because we need therapy or whatever."

Ander's face became enraged, then calm and settled on resolute. "Now is not the time to discuss that," Ander said monotone.

Will wasn't gonna tell him he'd been thinking about it all day, and his mind was made up. Will glanced at Maeve and his heart clenched at the thought of her not being there. But what choice did he have? Their life wasn't meant for her, and he couldn't keep her safe if they kept fighting in the war. Had to keep fighting. It was all he knew, and the world needed the Soldiers of Night.

"Movement." Ander stared out the side of the SUV.

Sure enough, the bloodbags were headed back to their hive. Too far from the hive's location. Will watched the body movements, not human, too graceful. All bloodsuckers had fluid movement, apparently when they gave up their day jobs part of the benefits package was they got to move like a dancer. Tempted to leave the SUV and take them out, but Will remained still. Hated waiting, even when he was the one who came up with the plan. He'd learned over the years waiting was essential to hunting prey, had to strike at the right moment.

"We need to track them," Will told Ander.

They'd have to wait until the vampires were farther away or they'd hear them getting out of the SUV.

"Wake her up and tell her we're going. Don't want her freaking out when we're gone. Maybe we'll get lucky and take out one or two of them." Will smiled. He needed to end something, needed the clarity it brought him. His mind filled with violent disturbing images of destroying the vampires they sauntered toward the hive. Ander woke Maeve, but he ignored their conversation, focused only on the targets in front of him.