Chapter 19 - Will

Will felt like dogshit. The light from the sliver of the window not covered hit his eyes. He rolled to his back and stared at the ceiling. Damn it, he fucking fell asleep. Was supposed to be on watch. Beside him were two empty water bottles. At least he remembered to do that much. His back hurt and his neck throbbed. He'd slept in a fucked up position. He pulled his arm up and looked at his watch. Shit, it was almost eight. His other hand stung. He glanced at it, still healing, but he needed to make sure he didn't fuck it up more when they took out the werewolf. Rolling to his side, he slowly sat and cracked with each movement. He stretched and pulled himself off the floor.

Will gritted his teeth and glared at Ander and Maeve in bed. Ander looked serene, peaceful. He hadn't woken Will up in the middle of the night screaming. Since Ander had returned, he'd slept even less than he had their entire lives because of the nightmares. Will rubbed his face. Was Ander really gonna be ok today? If he flipped out when they went after the fleabag and she was there-fuck, wasn't gonna think about it. Not natural how they held each other. How could Ander trust her enough to leave his center open? They both looked... tranquil.

Sure, he'd slept with her too, but he'd kept his arms locked around her. She couldn't have done anything if she'd tried. Will's eye twitched. Fuck this. He took a breath and moved to the end of the bed. Pulling his hand back, he smacked Ander's ankle. As expected, Ander's body responded before his brain did. He pulled his knife from under the pillow while simultaneously pulled Maeve against him to shield her. Just as he was about to strike, his eyes opened. He blinked several times when he saw Will and collapsed back on the bed.

"Rise and shine, Andy," Will said, a grin on his lips.

Maeve peered at him with unfocused eyes, then looked from Ander to Will and back to Ander. Normals, their reaction time was shit. No mystery why they died so easily. Her expression fearful and confused, she had no clue what'd happened except Ander had moved suddenly.

"You want coffee before we head out?" Will asked Ander.

Ander nodded once. Maeve slid out of bed and headed to the bathroom. Will purposely didn't look at her when she passed him. His jaw clenched as her scent moved over him. Cloves and fresh leaves. He adjusted his stance as his dick throbbed in his pants. Needed her to leave, or he needed to fuck her. He rubbed his face again. Couldn't touch her. She stirred shit up in him he couldn't control. No fucking. He turned around to the coffee maker. 

Claim her, she is yours, the guttural voice told him.

He ignored it and focused on brewing the coffee.

Ander sat up in the bed solemn. "Do you think it is best to have her with us?"

"No I don't, but Mason's gone and we need to get this done, today." Needed this to end, all of it.

Wanted the fleabag's head, and he wanted to find some other Soldiers of Night to help Maeve. They could figure out why demons wanted her. Being around her was just too fucked up.

"You gonna be ok? I mean, you feeling, present?" He scrutinized Ander. Maybe he should leave Ander with her and take care of the werewolf himself. Ander seemed pretty stable around her.

"I am fine Will," frustration laced his voice. "In fact, I am very focused and clear." he glanced at the blade Will had forged for him. "I was thinking, we should take its claws before going for its head. It will not be able to fully shift but it can still grow them and that could pose complications, particularly with a civilian traveling with us," he finished. 

"True. Good idea. Gonna be messy, but since it can't change, that's one of the best weapons it has at the moment. That shit takes forever to heal," he said and rubbed his chest. At least it seemed that way when he'd been healing from a previous injury.

The bathroom door opened and Maeve came out refreshed, she'd changed back into the tight jeans. The flannel remained, probably cause it covered her better. Ander went into the bathroom and left them standing there in silence. Will looked away. If he just didn't look at her, it would be fine until this was done. The coffee maker beeped, signaling it was done. He poured coffee and re-set it to go again. Wanted to ask her if what he'd done still hurt. He wanted to tell her how fucking sorry he was. Wanted to pull her into his arms and kiss her until she forgot all about his fuckup. His hand shook as he grabbed the mug. Had she told Ander? Didn't seem like it. Ander would be angry and disappointed but would understand Will hadn't meant to do it.

Ander came out of the bathroom dressed in his fatigues and loaded up their bags up while he drank his coffee. Will finished his mug and changed into his uniform. Felt better to move, just needed to keep moving. All this fucked up shit didn't bother him as much when he just moved. After getting his black fatigues on, he gathered what weapons he'd need and then some. In the background Ander talked to Maeve, but he didn't pay attention, didn't want to get trapped into looking at her again. Once he was ready, he packed up the rest of his stuff and saw Ander do the same. 

"We aren't coming back here?"

Will heard a note of disappointment in her tone. He paused for a second and then gathered his bathroom items.

"No, given the type of mission, it is best we not return here," Ander paused and softened his tone "We are not finished. We still need to help you."

Will didn't look at them, but was confident she'd smiled at him again. She smiled at Ander a lot. Will put their bags in the SUV while Ander cleaned up the room. 

"But why are you wiping down everything?" He heard her ask when he returned for the remaining bags.

"We try to leave as little evidence as possible," Ander replied.

Will chuckled, glad Ander was stuck answering questions again. He didn't have the patience to teach people like Ander did. Ander had placed all the used cleaning supplies in the bag when he opened the door again. Maeve stood awkwardly in the middle of the room. Will glanced at the broke chair. Hopefully it wouldn't fall apart until the next person rented the room, or they get charged. Rather one of their many aliases would be charged. Either way, he'd still have to pay for it.

"Let's roll." he walked out the door and started the SUV.