Chapter 1: Empire of Madrathia

" Genevieve, please just clean it up. "

   " I'm sorry, I'm sorry. "

Genevive Newton picked up the broken pieces of the vase. She grabbed the red roses and started running to the maid's quarters. So she can throw them away and grab her friend to help her. She opened the door to their shared room and threw away the vase pieces. She set the flowers on her bed and looked at her friend.

   " Y/n, can you please help me? "

Y/n Rowse was Genevive's best friend. She was also the maid everyone went to for help. She was a very kind person and would do anything for her fellow maids. Working in the palace had its advantages and disadvantages. Y/n was an advantage.

When another maid needed something done, but their schedules were filled up, Y/n would do the job. Usually, this would be against their advisor, but she did it anyway. Y/n knew that it was fine as long as she didn't get caught. The king was vicious if something wasn't cleaned, and he's killed maids before for not cleaning his desk properly. All the maids knew that if something was broken that it would need to be fixed before the King or Queen saw.

They would surely kill someone for breaking what's theirs. Y/n was gazing out of the window at the stars when her friend came into the room.

   " Sure, what do you need? "

   " Can you go grab a new vase? Take these flowers and put them in the far west hall. You'll see the pedestal where there's a vase missing. "

   " Got it. "

You stood up and started running out of the door. You made it to the maid's closet, and inside were tools and extra vases. The advisor over the maids saw that many of the new maids were clumsy, so she bought many vases. You grabbed a vase and started running down the hall. You traveled to the west hall and saw where Genevive knocked the vase over.

You placed the vase on the empty spot. Genevive ran towards you and set the roses in the new vase. You grabbed the water from Genevive and started putting water in the vase. Genevive got on her knees and started scrubbing the floor. She scrubbed the floor hard until the stain was taken out of the red carpet.

The queen loved the color red, so that was the color for many of the things in the palace. The vases, the roses, and it was the color of the halls. The king loved gold, so they pared them together and let those colors be the main stars in the palace. The king and queen wore their favorite colors, whereas the maids wore their ranking colors. The prince and princess wear their parents' colors, and nothing is changed.

   " Alright, the stain is gone. Now, let's go. We're not supposed to be out after hours. "

Genevive joined you in running back to your room. As you both ran to your rooms, Quinn Harding was standing at his window, stargazing in another part of the castle. Quinn loved the stars. He loved picking out the many constellations. He looked away from his window and towards his desk.

On top of his desk was an invitation. One he had protested against and wished would burn to flames. His fair-colored hand picked up the invitation and brought it to his ice-colored eyes.

King Francis Harding and Queen Aileen Harding invite you to an engagement ball.

Prince Quinn Harding has come of age, 20, for a bride. You have been invited to the ball at the palace in the Madrathia Empire. The ball is in two weeks.

We hope you can attend.

Quinn crushed the invitation in his hand and let it fall to the floor. He ran his hand through his short black locks. He was frustrated and nerved.

   " I don't want to get married. The women that will attend only want me for my money, status, or they'll shove themselves on to me. I don't want to marry for any of that. "

He walked to his bed and laid down on top of it, looking at his dark ceiling.

   " I want to marry someone who sees me for someone else. Not a prince. "

He threw his crown off of his head and turned his back to face it.