Chapter 16: A Candle Meeting

" Y/n, can you help me? "

You turned around from the sink in the kitchen and saw one of the other maids looking into the kitchen. You dried your hands and looked out of the window. It was dark outside, and you were confused about what she would need this late.

    " Uh, sure, but what are you doing awake? "

   " What are you doing awake? "

   " Cleaning, and making sure nothing is a mess in the morning. I don't want anyone to be punished. Your turn. "

   " I was going on a walk when I noticed something in the garden. I looked around to see if anyone was awake, and you were. "

   " Okay. Go back to bed and I'll fix whatever it is in the garden. "

   " Thank you. "

   " What is your name? "

   " Sarah. Sarah Flemming. "

   " Okay, Sarah. I'll go take care of the garden. Go to your room before anyone catches you. "

   " I will, be safe. "

You nodded to Sarah, ad she ran off. You walked out of the kitchen and down the stairs towards the garden. When you entered the garden, you spotted a candle on the ground. It was a small wax candle melting from the flame on the wick. Behind it, farther away, there was another lit candle. You slowly started to follow the candles through the garden. One by one, you followed them around corners and bends in the garden until you reached an area with a lot of light. You stepped closer, turned the corner, gasped in surprise, and stepped back.

   " Hey, Y/n. "

Quinn stood in front of you with his hands behind his back, and there was a smile on his features. He was standing in front of a bench, where candles littered the ground and on the bench. Quinn was thinner than before, and his clothes looked a little big on his body. He only wore black dress pants with fancy black shoes on his feet. He wore a simple loose, button-up white collard shirt, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His hair had been cut, and it wasn't as long as it was in the cell. It was shorter, and there was no gel in his hair. His hair was loose, and it framed his forehead. 

   " When did you get out? " You asked.

   " Today. They let me go a few hours ago, and I asked Sarah to help me set this up. I know the maids are not allowed to wander around at night, but I asked Sarah if she would help me. I wanted to see you and didn't want to wait until morning. The candles were to make a little path so we could easily get out and not get lost in the dark. Now, give me a hug. " He said, opening his arms.

You did as he asked and hugged him tightly. Your arms wrapped around his midsection, his left arm rested around your back, and his right arm held your head to his chest. You felt warm and comfortable in the hug. Quinn didn't want to let go. He felt happy and warm being able to hug you. The hug felt like it lasted for seconds, but it lasted for five minutes. Finally, you both pulled away, and Quinn sat on the bench. He tapped the spot beside him, and you sat down. The candles were far enough not to burn your clothes or any bushes around you.

   " How is Jin? "

   " He's doing okay. He sent a letter to us, and Quintin gave it to me. I'll give you the letter later to read. "

   " Thank you. I'm glad he's okay and he's out of Madrathia. I don't think my sanity wouldn't have lasted any longer knowing Jin was in that cell. " 

   " I'm glad I could be there and get him out. I didn't think the king would be so cruel to his own son, and an assassin. You would think he would be afraid of hurting an assassin because they're skilled to kill. "