Chapter 24: A Secret Within the Walls

The same night, you had set your bags beside the door and changed into your nightgown. When changed, you sat down on your bed and looked outside at the sky. No stars were out, as the gray clouds covered the sky and allowed snowflakes to fall from them during the night. The princesses that entered the palace intrigued you, and you were curious how they would try to woo Quinn. Of course, you were jealous, but in the end, you knew you had nothing to worry about. You turned your head to the door after hearing someone knock. You stood from your bed and put on a light jacket you planned to wear tomorrow. You stepped up to your door and took the handle, twisting it. You looked out into the hall and spotted Quinn standing in front of you.

   " Hi, can I come in? "

   " Yeah. "

You opened your door wider and let Quinn step inside your room. Then, you shut the door and turned towards Quinn.

   " So, are you ready to depart tomorrow? "

   " I am. Are you ready to handle your first princess tomorrow? "

   " Not at all. I believe my father said Larissa Bell would be the first princess I spend my time with. "

   " That'll be fun. How come you came to visit so late? "

   " I won't be able to say goodbye to you tomorrow, so i wanted to at least tell you goodbye tonight. "

   " Aww, how sweet. Come and sit. "

You sat down on your bed, and Quinn sat beside you. You hugged your knees while Quinn leaned his head on your shoulder. 

   " What did you think of the princesses? " You asked.

   " I think I would much rather prefer you than them. I've already had one come and knock on my bedroom door, and asked to speak with me. I briefly talked with her, before she tried to bed me. "

   " Which princess was that? "

   " Princess Hadrienna. She believes that if I will impregnate her, then she is bound to the crown. "

   " That's a little hasty. "

   " It's too much, is what it is. "

You could tell Quinn was exhausted, and you ran your fingers through his hair. He enjoyed your touch and leaned into your hand. 

   " Would it be alright if I slept here? "

   " You know you can't. "

   " I know but I want to. "

   " If you can leave before esun rise then I am fine with it, but I don't think that will happen. "

    " And why is that? I think I can get up early. "

   " It's because you can't wake up early that you shouldn't. I've seen how tired you've been lately, and I know that once you go to sleep, you won't wake up until I enter your room and wake you up for breakfast. "

   " I'm worrying aren't I? "

   " A little. "

   " Fine, I'll leave then and let you sleep. It is already late enough. And you have an early start tomorrow. "

   " As do you. "

Quinn stood up from your bed and kissed your forehead. He wished you goodnight before leaving your room. He locked the door from the inside and shut the door. The walk back to his room was quiet and peaceful until he heard voices along the halls.

   " How. . .you. . .last. . ."

Quinn followed the hushed voices down the hall, searching for them, and he knew he was getting closer when they spoke clearly.

   " We must do it soon. Things are escalating here in the castle, and soon the king will snap. We will not last much longer. "

   " Are you sure? "

   " Yes, the queen is gone, Quinn has suitors coming to be his bride, and the king has already killed many of us, including the woman he had ana affair with. We. Will. Not. Last. "

Quinn walked down the corridors until he found who was speaking. 

   " What do you want me to tell everyone? "

   " Tell them to get prepared. Get ready. Sharpen their swords, and prepare their armor. The rebellion is going to happen, and we will have war with Francis Harding. I will let you know when it is closer to time, but for now, get everyone prepared, and tell them that war is upon us. "

   " Is there anything else? "

   " Yes, inform everyone that the maids, butlers, and the staff needs to be escorted out of the palace. The prince and the princess will also need to be escorted out. The prince is not like his father, in fact, he's better, and he will work with the kingdom. The prince and the princess have no involvement in this war and need to be escorted out for the future of the kingdom. "

   " Understood. I will let them know. "

   " Thank you. Now, go before we are spotted. "

   " Yes, sir. "

Quinn heard one pair of footsteps, and they were getting further and further away. 

   ' So, the war is starting. At least they've been convinced that I am not a threat. '

   " You may come out now. I know you are hiding. "

Quinn felt his back straighten up. He reached for his sword on instinct but felt nothing at his side. Quinn wanted to smack himself for leaving his sword in his room. Then, with nothing left to do, Quinn stepped out into the hallway to face the person who worked for the rebellion and had been working in the castle to get intel.

   " Quintin? "

   " Hello, your majesty. Tell me, how much did you hear? "

Quintin's posture was stiff, but his eyes were narrow, and as a cat, he looked ready to pounce on his pry if needed.

   " Enough. Are you--"

   " Yes, I am the head of the rebellion. I am their leader. "

   " What are you planning to do now that I know? "

   " Nothing. If you do not tell your father. "

   " Then I will not tell him. Truth be told, I do support your plan. "

   " I am glad. I promise that you will be escorted out of here safely, as well as the staff and your sister. The rebellion has no qualms with you. "

   " Good, I am very much in appreciation towards you. Come, let us talk more in my room. There are things that need to be discussed. "

   " But you are not part of the rebellion. In fact you're a royal. " Quintin teased with a smirk.

   " Well, if you would like, that could change. " Quinn said, smirking back at Quintin.

Quintin was satisfied with Quinn's words and followed him to his chambers. Luckily for them, no one was in the hall to hear them, and their secret would be kept only within the walls.