Chapter 41: Sam's Promise

" Y/n, you are staying here. "

   " Elina, please let me go. I have to make sure Quinn is okay. "

   " No. "

You walked beside Elina through the halls, with Sam walking on your other side. Elina was walking with you to get breakfast and welcomed you with a smile. But, unfortunately, her smile only lasted until you asked her when you should join Nikoli's troops.

   " Elina, please. I've been training with Sam, and I'm ready. I want to fight--"

   " But you won't. Y/n please understand this from my point of view. "

   " Elina--"

   " Y/n, I thought I had already lost you. I thought Genevive was already dead after she had been unconscious for so long, and I have no idea where Aileen is. I don't want to send you onto that battlefield because I am selfish. Because I want you to be here, where it is safe. Where I know you won't die. This is the end of the discussion. "

Elina walked away from you with her shoulders tightened and straight. Elina disappeared around the corner, leaving you and Sam in the hallway alone. You sighed and turned towards Sam, who only stood and stared at you, with his hand comfortably placed on his sword.

   " What do you think Sam? Should I be able to go? "

   " My opinion does not matter. "

   " It does to me. So, tell me. "

Sam sighed, before replying to his answer, in his usual monotone voice.

   " I believe you would be a great help on the battlefield-- "

   " Thank you. "

   " But I believe, you should stay here like Lady Elina says. "

   " Why? "

   " It is my personal, wish. You have already seen enough bloodshed as it is, and I do not wish for you to see anymore. Also, it is one thing to kill a dummy, but you will be killing real people. I care about your mentality, my lady, and I do not want anything to scar you, for the rest of your life. "

   " I just want to find Quinn. That it. "

   " And in order to, you must run through a crowd of people, that are willing to kill you without a second thought. In order to get to the palace, you must run through the center. "

   " Not necessarily. "

   " Hmm? "

You turned towards Quinn and folded your arms in front of you. You were confident you could get into the palace and get out without anyone spotting you. 

   " I've lived in the palace for years. You would be surprised by the number of hidden hallways there are. I know the entire castle backward and forwards. "

   " But you don't know where Quinn is. "

   " I. . .I don't. . ."

   " Let me handle it, my lady. "

   " Handle it? What do you mean? "

Sam glanced at you before turning his eyes to the floor. He took his blue cape in his hands and threw it behind him. He lowered himself to the ground, with his right leg touching the floor, and his left leg was at a ninety-degree angle. His left hand rested against his chest, and his right hand remained on the handle of his sword. Sam's head was still up and not looking toward the floor. Sam raised his head towards you, and he smiled at you. The sun, once again, angled itself through the windows perfectly, highlighting his body in a warm glow.

   " Let me have the honor of finding your fiance. I swear to you, I will find him and return him to your side, safe and sound. I will not allow him to get injured while we venture through the battlefield. "

You were at a loss for words. You could only look at Sam, wondering why he was willing to leave the battlefield to find your fiance. You knew he would have a position on the battlefield's front lines and have to fight through everyone, so his words sounded like he was going to abandon his post. He was going to leave his position to make you happy.

   " Why? Why would you do that? "

   " We are close are we not? I wish to see you smile, and not frown. If finding Sir. Quinn first and returning him to your side makes you happy, I will do so. "

   " But your post-- "

   " Will be filled when both sides clash. I will lead my knights to victory and push through the crowd to make it to the palace. There are backup generals in case, something is to happen to the main man in charge. So, my position will be filled quickly. "

You thought over his words for a moment before slowly nodding your head. Sam's smile seemed to widen at your nod, and he stood up from the ground.

   " Then, I will find him, at all costs. Your happiness and safety are my first priorities. "

You nodded your head again and turned away from Sam, walking away from his radiant smile. You walked to the dining hall and sat down, looking at the food. The eggs, danishes, fruit, and pancakes made your mouth water.

   " Where is Genevive? " You asked, grabbing a danish.

   " The doctors asked for her to stay in the medical wing for now, to make sure she has fully overcome her illness. "

   " Okay. When will the troops leave? "

   " They will leave tomorrow, night. They will set up camp, outside of Madrathia, and prepare their troops to attack on the next morn. "

   " Okay, thank you. I was wondering so I could tell Sam goodbye. "

   " You've given up on going? "

   " Yes. I know Sam will make sure Quinn is safe. I trust him. "

Elina sighed, and her smile reappeared on her face. She took a pancake and started eating when Nikoli entered the room. He sat beside Elina, kissing her head. You continued to eat and chat with the married couple. It was a warm, comfortable morning, and you were glad you could be there to see your friends smiling and laughing. Sarah sat across from you, eating all of the food she could eat. She started with some fruit before stacking her plate high with pancakes. Other maids, butlers, and those once part of the Madrathia staff ate with smiles. People's faces showed happiness and ease sitting at the table. Everyone knew they had nothing to fear because they were free from King Francis. And if Prosa and the rebellion lost to Madrathia, they could at least enjoy their freedom and happiness at that moment.