Chapter 10: Needed Comfort

You knocked on Quinn's door, but after knocking, the door was thrown open, and Quinn pulled the breakfast cart inside the room; he grabbed your arms, pulling you in with the cart. You turned around, and Quinn slammed the door shut, locking it.

   " Quinn, what are you doing? "

   " I need to talk to you but I can't have anyone hear about it. "

   " You could have just told me to come in instead of grabbing me. "

   " Look, I'm nervous okay. And I'm scared. "

   ' Scared? '

You looked Quinn over and realized how disheveled he was. His black locks were in a fray, his white long-sleeved shirt was untucked from his pants, his sleeves were messily rolled up to his elbows, and there were no socks or shoes on his feet. Usually, Quinn was dressed to impress anyone, but now, he looked on the verge of exploding.

   " Okay. What is it you want to talk about? "

Quinn let out a sigh as he walked toward his desk chair. He pulled the chair out and gestured for you to sit down in the chair. You did, and he positioned the chair to sit beside his bed. Quinn sat down on his bed and rested his elbows on his knees, with his hands clasped together.

   " A few days ago something happened. "

   " What was this something? "

   " My father was angry at me, for not finding a wife at the ball. And I retaliated against him. He demanded I find a wife before the assassins return from their trip, and that's only a few weeks. My mother entered the room and tried to help me, but he slapped her. He threw me to the ground and I ran to help my mother when she said she's going to divorce my father. "

   " Okay, and why is all of this causing you stress, and for you to be scared? Where is the root of all of this coming from? "

Quinn sighed before falling back on his bed, letting his back touch the mattress, and his eyes wandered to the ceiling above.

   " I guess, it's because I don't want to find a wife, so soon. And I'm afraid of my mother leaving me. I want her to be happy but. . .she's the only one that's really been there for me when I needed someone. My father is horrible, and my sister and I don't really have a good relationship. Mariella sleeps around too much to realize she's getting married in a year. My mother is the only person I really have. And once she leaves my father, she'll have to leave me here with him and Mariella, since I am the next heir and Mariella would rather stay in high status. "

   ' He doesn't want to be alone. '

   " I love my mother, and I don't want her to leave. And I don't want to find a bride in only a few weeks. I would rather rule without one. I want to be able to be king and have the queen be someone whom I love. Not someone who I marry for my father's sake. "

( Flashback )

   " I'm guessing there's a lot of pressure on you? "

   " Yeah, there is. My sister is going to be getting married in a year so I'm the only one to claim the throne. And. . .I kind of don't want it. "

You felt your movements stop and looked up at the prince mopping. Your silence pierced the room, making Quinn look over at you. He stopped mopping and looked at you, raising an eyebrow.

   " What is it? "

   " What do you mean, 'I kind of don't want it'? Isn't the royal life supposed to be great. "

Quinn searched your eyes but didn't mind any hostility, only curiosity.

   " It's not. Sure, I get food every day, I have a glamorous roof over my head, and I have new clothes to wear with all of the money a person could ever want. But none of its mine. It's my father's. I'll sound like a bratty kid if I say it but I will. I don't want any of it. Sure being a noble is great, but being a prince is a different level. There's pressure on your back to be a good ruler and to do the best for your people. But in my case, everyone is assuming that I'll be the same as my father, and that's not going to be good in the future. I would rather throw away the title, and instead enjoy my life, instead of suffocating myself with it. "

( Flashback Over )

You scooted your chair closer to Quinn's bed and took his hand in yours. Quinn's eyes darted down towards your interlinked hands, and he felt a slight blush rise to his face, but he ignored it.

   " You won't be alone when Aileen leaves. You'll have Jin and me. We'll be here for you, and I'm sure you'll figure something out with your father. You have a couple of weeks to find a wife, so use that time to figure something out to get out of marriage. "

Quinn sat up on his bed, keeping your fingers interlocked. His eyes never disconnected from yours, and his eyes shone a bit.

   " You won't ever be alone, Quinn. Not with Jin and I alive and kicking. We will always be here when you need us. We are friends, of course. " You said, smiling at the prince.

Quinn continued to stare at you, feeling his eyes get teary. Finally, he leaned forward and rested his forehead on your shoulder, and his shoulders and back started to relax with his thoughts. He kept your fingers interlocked and found comfort sitting in a quiet room, talking with someone he could call his friend.

   " Thank you, Y/n. Thank you. . ."

You only nodded and raised your free hand to pat his back and rub his head slightly. He seemed to get calmer by the second, and you stayed like that for a while, forgetting the breakfast that grew cold on the cart.