.zero.

"What the actual fuck mom?" Devasya asked enraged

"What the actual fuck mom?" Devasya asked enraged. "Dev! Think before you speak! I am your mother! and yes! you are going to get married next month and I don't want to hear any excuses from you now! Enough is enough." Devasya ran his hand through his hair deeply annoyed.

"Let's see. You are arranging my marriage to someone I don't know and you are not asking my permission for this marriage and you're making my life's decision without even consulting me! Do you even hear yourself cuz I think this is absolute bullshit"

"Shut up Dev! Don't you ever swear in front of me! and what is this my, my, and my thing you're on about? Huh? Don't forget that I brought you into this world! I taught you to talk, stand, sit and move! And don't act like I didn't give you any chance, I gave you so many chances! You're going to be 30 soon Dev! Do you even know how hard it was to even get a rishta for you at this age?! No, of course, you don't! You never let anyone in! Damn it Dev! You're getting married next month and I don't want to hear anything from you about it now."

"Woah, woah, woah! Emotional blackmail? Seriously mom? I never thought that you would stoop this low. Whatever, I will be out of town next week so you can gladly arrange a wedding for whomever who might be interested in it cuz I sure as hell am not" Devasya said in one breath and started walking towards his room.

"You think you're so smart Dev right? Don't forget that the most valuable shareholder in your company right now is my brother! One phone call and you're whole hard work and life would be tarnished. Think carefully" Devasya's eyes narrowed with the newfound rage and he shut the door of his room with enough force to break it off his hinges.

"I don't think this is right Maya. He is not ready and we should not force him into this, all it would cause is sadness and grief to the girl he would be married to, and not to forget, all of Devasya's hard work would go into the drain." Devasya's father spoke thoughtfully.

"I don't know what else I should do instead of blackmailing him. He is going to be 30 next month and he has been alone for a decade now. He is closed off with us, his only family, his friends are completely non-existent and all he has ever worked for is soon going to be over I think this is the right time for him to allow someone into his life and share his grief, worry, and happiness with. He is angry with me now but after some time I am sure that he would be thankful. I really did not want to do what I did but I have to."

Maya's answer was met with silence and furrowed eyebrows of her husband. They both sat in the living room, silence slowly making their heart empty.

******

Devasya was absolutely mad at the fact that his mother took such a big decision of his life without even consulting him. From the corner of his eye, he could see the envelope with the details and photograph of his supposed to-be-wife. Devasya sat on the edge of his bed and covered his eyes with his palm.