.twenty four.

Unedited

The pungent smell of hospital made Devasya's nose scrunch up but he could care less about it. More, no, the most important thing awaits him at the end of the hall. His eyebrows were furrowed, lips tucked back showing his displeasure at the situation in hand. His hands shook and he trembled with worry.

He stopped by the reception, where the nurse looked up to him

"S-Sonarika? Room number" he didn't have it in him to speak full sentences, only gibberish came out of his mouth. The nurse told the worried man the room number, pitying at his state, but this was her job, everyday she sees men and women like him. With their eyes sunken deep inside and their face as white as a sheet. She sighed seeing the man run towards the said room.

The knock at the door alerted Monika sitting by her friend's bed sadly. She looked up to meet the eyes of a man standing there. He looked to be in his late twenties.

"Are you Devasya?" Monika asked slowly.

But Devasya didn't hear anything, except the heightened heart beat of his own heart. His Sona. She lied there in a bed with machines and wires attached to her. Her eyes had deep dark circles under them and she nearly looked dead if not for the way her chest rose and fell. He tried to move forward but his legs didn't seem to support him, and so the man fell to his knees. Right infront of his wife. Who didn't even know he was here.

Monika gasped loudly, and hurriedly walked towards him. She made him sit on the chair she was sitting in, the room was cramped up. It was a government hospital with hundreds of other people just like Sona being treated. Devasya noticed the blue haired lady helping him, for the first time in a long time, he tried to form coherent sentences.

The man's voice shook and trembled at every word, Monika noticed, as a result of which she didn't understand a thing he was trying to convey, but she had a slight idea. If going by his appearances and the way he was behaving, it was clear he was Sona's husband. And so she told him what went down to land her friend here.

"Our bases were attacked two days ago, so we fled from there into a forest, where Sona, unfortunately, had an asthmatic seizure. Thankfully I knew a thing or two about it so I was able to help her through it. But then, those men found us in the forest. They-

They attacked us, with a knife. I was the one standing while Sona was sitting because of the weakness she had, but as he came towards me with that knife, Sona threw me at the side with force and the knife landed on her stomach. Fortunately, our armed forces came in right at that instant. Otherwise, I didn't know what would have happened"

"You are a doctor too right? How is she? Is she in any kind of danger?"

"Y-yes, I-i kind of am" Sona croaked out in a dry tone after seeing her husband sitting away in Sahara dessert. Why does he have to sit that far away. She frowned at the thought.

Devasya's face snapped towards his wife in an instant and he stoop up to go towards her but his legs felt weak, just before he was about to fall he took the support of the chair he was sitting in and slowly moved towards her. Monika smiled slowly and decided to give them some privacy. She shut the door behind her, as soon as she was turning around, hands around her waist made her gasp out loudly. However, the gasp was soon muffled down as soon as her fiancée turned her around in his arms to look at her face, his eyes filled up and his lips a pale colour of blue.

Monika jumped up on him as soon as she came to her senses. The two lovers finally finding the peace amongst the ship wreck.

"sona"