Chapter 31 - Dancing Queen

Zander's POV:

I sat in the corner of the room watching Alexa dance with this new guy Ben. Jax filled me in on the defence class she attended and I was glad to hear she kicked his arse, but I wasn't so happy to hear how she did it.

From here I could catch whispers of their conversation through all the loud music and laughing crowds but I couldn't catch everything.

"What ab.. her?" Alexa asked him.
"No, looks.. envio.. you rather.. me. .. one night st.."

Okay so I think she's helping the new guy like a wingman would. That calmed Shadow down a lot. Shadow and I wanted to interrupt them, but we just needed to wait for a song change. 

Rachel walked up to the DJ and grabbed the microphone: "Attention everyone." The sound of her high pitch voice echoed off the walls. "We will be playing a little game. The DJ will now be playing some slow dancing music. I want everyone on the dance floor, but there is one rule. You need to swap partners when the music stops. It will only stop for five seconds so don't take too long or you will be partnerless and be kicked off the dance floor. The last couple remaining wins a huge prize!"

Shadow began barking in my head and wagging his tail excitedly. Guess this is how we win her over.

I stood up and approached Alessia and gave her my arm. She caught on and accepted and we walked over to Alexa and Ben. 
"What's with the coat?" Alessia asked and smiled with a knowing glint in her eye.

Alexa smiled but ignored the question. "This is Ben by the way, sorry I didn't get to introduce you guys earlier. Ben this is Alessia my best friend, and this is Zander my.. ah.. friend also." She said in a awkward way.

"Oh! So this is the 'Zander' you-" Alexa chose that moment to stomp on Ben's foot. It put a huge smile on my face as I realised she must have been talking about me. I guess Alessia was right, I need to trust her.

The music sent vibrations through the floor even though the music began softly I could feel everything with my heightened senses. As soon as the music stopped I let go of Alessia who wondered off the stage and held my right arm out towards Alexa. With a slight bow I leaned towards her ear even though the music had stopped. "May I have this dance?" I asked her looking into her beautiful grey eyes. There was something brighter about them today. Something even more alluring.

Ben let go of her hand and wondered off to the next girl, while Alexa blushed. "This is it!" Shadow was screaming in my head wanting to touch her faster. Eagerly waiting for her to take our hand and light up all our senses. His tail was wagging so fast it made me anxious. She smiled at me and then slowly placed her hand in mine.

My smile faltered for a second as Shadows defining howl echoed in my head. His agony was my agony. We waited for the sparks everyone talks about but devastation filled us when we didn't feel any. Shadows howl slipped through the mind link for a second, which was something that has only ever happened once. There is something about Alexa that makes me weak. Something that distracts me and pulls all my attention and focus off of others and onto her. How could she not be my mate?

Everyone who was part of my pack turned their heads slightly in submission. Their eyes frantically scanning the area for threat, before looking around for me, to see what had happened.

The only time they heard my wolf accidentally howl through the mind link was when my grandfather died. "Sorry everyone, everything is fine, carry on." I quickly sent through the mind link before the music began playing.

Instantly the atmosphere returned to normal, other than a few worried glances from Ed and Jax who were also dancing near by. The music stopped and it was then I realised we were just standing there staring at one another the whole time. Another guy went to ask for her hand but I pulled her into my arms desperately still wanting this dance. "Sorry she's taken." I said to the human who frowned at me before walking off stage.