Chapter 104 - Safe House

Alexa's POV:

Once inside of the dark safe house, the stone door rolled behind us making it airtight and pitch black. I heard a flick of a switch and looked up to see sunlight. It wasn't like looking at a large skylight, instead little circle skylights scattered around the roof like little stars the size of my palm. There must have been fifty of them. Don't need the use of torches unless at night, I thought to myself.

"Awesome!" Ella gasped looking up at the sunshine that lit up the large room. "This place is bigger than what I imagined."

"Yes well we needed to make sure there was enough room for the entire pack." Mike said. 
I looked around to see shelving lining all the walls. No, wait they were bunks lined up five high against the walls. Each bed had waterproof pillows covered in durable fabric and waterproof blankets. 

"Why all the waterproof pillows and blankets?" I asked, curiosity eating at me.

"Practical." Vivian said shrugging her shoulder. "Helps when children wet the bed, or if there are patients bleeding out. It's easier to clean up."

"Take a look over here." Mike's voice pulled my attention to a large drinking fountain that lined the wall beside the entrance. It had enough taps for around twenty people at one time.

"To summarise, we managed to dig into an underwater spring that had the cleanest drinking water we had tasted. One of the taps requires a small amount of power for heating up water for bathing purposes, but relies on a hidden solar panel. On the odd chance the battery fails it just means you will only have access to cool water."

"That's excellent!" I said realising no one will die of thirst or have to be stuck in darkness. "The only thing I don't see is food." I stated looking at the old alpha and Luna pair. 

"Well.." Vivian trailed. "We have a heap of tinned food but couldn't think of anything that would help in the long run or if it happened to run out. If we were to stock this place with enough food to feed the pack for a week, with the amount us wolves eat, there would be no room for people at all. We thought you could maybe help with that?"

"I would love to, but I wouldn't have a clue what plants would grow underground with limited sun and in such salty soil? Besides where would they grow?"

"Halophyte." Ella said confusing me further.

"Halo what?" I asked.

"Plants that can survive in salty areas are called halophytes, though I'm pretty sure they all still need sunlight.." Ella trailed off. 

"Hmm, I'm not sure about what can grow but I might have an idea of where." Vivian said walking over to another door I didn't notice before. It looked the same as the entrance. A boulder that camouflaged well within the solid rock walls. 

We stepped inside the doorway to see a row of ten toilets and three sinks lined against the left wall. To the right was a large unused space the size of an average house. "We we're thinking to put large walk in pantry here for the tinned food but wanted you to see the area in case you could come up with something better."

"Leave it with me for tonight I don't want to rush this as it could mean the difference between life or death." I say heading back towards the caves entrance. I needed to get out of there and get some fresh air. 

Zanders POV:

Max was a little fire cracker. Like a tiny ball of energy that never burnt out. It was nice to see him start to open up and trust people after what must have been a very long time. 

At first he was a little shy when I told him to throw a punch at me, I could tell he was holding back. I waited until the last second before dodging and making sure I was a few metres away so he knew that if I didn't want to get hit I could easily avoid him.