14) Extreme Testing: Part 2.5 [Iruka]

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN NARUTO Yeah... Just a quick thing so we know just what the f>.< Iruka was doing during the last chapter... Also, in case you haven't already figured it out, mini marshmallows are life.

Iruka's POV

I continued watching from my concealed spot in the branches. I stared intently as the visible part of Kida's face flashed vulnerably between confusion, hope and hurt as the Gen Jutsu took hold of her and contorted her reality.

Although she was still standing on the forest floor, I could tell she saw herself somewhere different. I wonder where the jutsu has taken her, and who's Ms Takashima?

Suddenly, she dashed off through the trees. God I hope she doesn't run into anything... With that thought in mind, I jumped through the trees after her. I lost her for a bit, her sudden speed after what she's already endured today surprised me. As a twelve year old, she should be exhausted...

Where did her sudden burst of energy come from?

With that question in mind, I wondered what she was seeing that renewed her determinedness and allowed her to push forward. But the jutsu didn't work that way, only the victim's perception was affected.

As I caught up to her further, I noticed how she dodged the trees, as though her new reality was forming around her in accordance to the solid objects that were actually there.

She dodged and weaved, stopping and going until she seemed to reach her destination. She had come to an abrupt halt at the edge of one of the more secluded training grounds. I circled around her, still concealing myself in the trees, until I was situated in the trees directly across from where she was looking.

She seemed to be in a state of shock and confusion as she stared at the space in front of her. Her visible eye was brimming with unshed tears. Her silver hair was tangled and dirtied with sweat and black soot from the fire. Ash and dirt had collected on her clothes, and smudges of black and brown littered the visible skin of her arms, legs and midsection. Yellow and purple bruises were still blossoming alongside several cuts that were crusted with dry blood, which she had sustained between fighting me and running disorient through the forest.

I looked back to her face again when I heard her sob. The broken sound tore at my heart, and caused my own breath to hitch. She was shaking violently and I could just hear the sound of her short, hyperventilated breaths. Her grimy looking fringe was flicked to the side, allowing me to see both of her dark, watery eyes as tears streaked down her cheeks and into her mask.

Her posture changed, as though she was being embraced by someone, before appearing to push away, confusion overtaking her features as she stepped away from whatever or whoever the jutsu had pulled from her mind.

Her broken voice cracked as she spoke, "You're dead"

Who's dead? I thought to myself as she continued to retreat, her eyes flashing between sadness and confusion.

"No, you're dead. You died. I saw your body. I was at your funeral. You told me to leave in search of living family. You..." She spoke softly and uncertainly as though trying to convince even herself as she retreated further.

With more confidence in her voice, she spoke of Kakashi and what had happened since she reached the village, but her voice wavered at the end, the jutsu making her question her own reality, messing with her mind as she tried  to convince herself of the truth.

This was so wrong, she's twelve. Kakashi's gonna be pissed if he ever finds out about this. And who's Ms Takashima? Someone important if that's who the jutsu's making her see...

Suddenly she was yelling, as anger and hurt overtook her. She screamed at whoever she was seeing about being left alone and being tricked, Ms Takashima? Her voice was raw and croaky from crying.

Something's not right, what could she be seeing that's caused this kind of reaction? This has gone way to far now. I thought as she finally broke, crumbling to the ground in a fit of painful sounding sobs that radiated misery from her now fragile seeming form as she knelt on the ground, threading her shaking hands in her hair.

That's it. I'm done.

As Kida looked up at the space above her, she smiled softly and continued to stare into that space as the jutsu lifted and she took in her new surroundings.

Okay, this has gone way past too far. I'm not going to break a child, Kakashi's daughter. My orders were from the Hokage, and I know he's still watching now. But this has to end. And that girl needs help, I should probably take her to the hospital...

I was about to jump down into the clearing to help her up, but before I could move, Kida's gaze shot up to me. Her eyes were swollen and red, and her dirtied hair was even more messed up from having it clutched in her hands.

Her eyes narrowed into a glare, and their black depths radiated pure anger and hatred as she stood up slowly, her clenched fists shaking at her sides.

Oh no. What have I done?